How long until Samsung drops support this time?

1. mwl1119

mwl1119 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I would post this in the Vibrant forum but many of them do not understand the struggles of the Behold II, Galaxy i5700, or Moment. The ones that (I think) do still come to this page.

Advertisement
    :
  2. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

I'd say 60/40 that the Vibrant will have Gingerbread by this time next year.

On a side note, that's a pretty small phone. A little bigger than the Aria, but not by much.
  3. psz

psz Well-Known Member

It's a different demographic target:

The Samsung S is a fully touchscreen, iPhone-ish Android phone designed to get people from iPhone to Samsung. (See: Samsung UK's "Free Galaxy S to iPhone users")

The Samsung Q, OTOH, is a fully QWERTY Texting-style phone designed to get people from Blackberry to Samsung. (See: http://androidspin.com/2010/06/18/samsung-announces-the-galaxy-q/ and http://androidspin.com/2010/07/26/leaked-specs-of-the-samsung-galaxy-q/)

They share the Galaxy name simply because of both being Android, not because one's replacing the other (Q comes before S anyway ;->)
  4. behold_this

behold_this Well-Known Member

^^That's correct.

Samsung stole the design and ui of galaxyS from the iPhone and they have stolen the design of the galaxyQ from blackberry. It's good though cause samsung fails when they design their own stuff!
  5. nemesys06

nemesys06 Well-Known Member

as far as support for the galaxy s lineup, i bet they will support that lineup for quite awhile. as for the galaxy q, i'm sure it'll get all the updates the galaxy s receives. it seems like both groups of phones are practically the same thing, just different designs. to appeal to different crowds. the galaxy family is samsungs bread and butter here in the mobile world now, so i highly doubt they will abandon it like they did the behold2. and i was a behold 2 owner!
  6. suyash1

suyash1 Well-Known Member

they did abandon the father galaxy. if it wernt for root they would be in 1.5 but drakaz is porting 2.2 and he released a nightly build for it
  7. euph_22

euph_22 Well-Known Member

It's clear that their historical business model did not value longterm support. Not saying they can't change that model. But it's still a change. (again, I think they'll be providing gingerbread, but I'm not confident about that).
  8. rleal2010

rleal2010 Well-Known Member

well since they did release the driver source for the galaxy s, (or at least that is what i had read somewhere), then it doesn't matter what happens because the community will take it over and develop for it.

If it doesnt come with the ability for video chat, it will one day.
  9. psz

psz Well-Known Member

Adobe has already announced AIR for Android will allow video chat.

(Without a front facing camera, though, it's kinda useless :p)
  10. mwl1119

Yeah I was gonna mention that but I wanted to post the engadget video demo using the nexus one and couldn't find it. If it is as buggy as Shakpes and the tiny dot editor though it will suck no matter the phone.

*EDIT*-Found the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVpL2uj1OyQ
  11. 2FR35H

2FR35H Well-Known Member

I do understand your plight with the behold 2 but the two devices are incomparable in every way possible.

Behold 2 didn't market much. Samsung Galaxy S commercials have been on droid commercial level. They are on constantly ever since the 15th. The world wide release and all carrier release. The specs to match. The bigger community but this too falls in line with world wide release. To put this in perspective. South Korea alone sold 500,000 devices in 1 month. Samsung already stated august for 2.2 android and you know its funny most people say I am going to htc but they aren't going to send the official android 2.2 updates to other devices until around december. as I do recall the mytouch 1.2 still hasn't received an official 2.1 OTA yet. Many people complain about software updates even with HTC.
  12. mwl1119

HTC is releasing 2.2 on the mytouch 1.2 in lieu of 2.1.
  13. 2FR35H

2FR35H Well-Known Member

And the last rumour noted was december for htc devices to receive 2.2 android. Thats around the time 3.0 Android should be released or releasing.

My point still stands.