How long will the Snapdragon processor be the "best"?

Last Updated:

1. tracerit

tracerit Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

It seems that the new processor in the rumored Motorola Droid shadow will completely wipe the floor with the Snapdragon 1ghz and I've read that a 1.5Ghz Snapdragon will make its way into devices later this year and the double core Snapdragons early next year. Just wondering really since in the end i'm goign t obe tied down by Sprint so i really don't have a choice haha.

Advertisement
  2. KiLo11

KiLo11 Well-Known Member

those type of processors will need ALOT of battery power and the cell phone battery technology hasnt caught up for those type of processors and no dual core snapdragons and the shadow has a 1ghz same as evo

3. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

No the Shadow supposedly has an OMAP3630 720mhz Processor. Lower clock speed but also supposedly has a separate GPU. Completely wiping the floor with the Snapdragon is an exaggeration I am sure. I haven't seen any benchmarks of the OMAP3630 vs. The Snapdragon 1 ghz. Now the map vs the Droids current processor offers something like and 80% improvement supposedly

4. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Please delete this individual post

5. TheBlackPrince

TheBlackPrince Well-Known Member

When they can shrink battery sizes even smaller and stuff more charge into them.

6. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

When the OMAP4xxx series come with dual core A9 proc's then I will be jealous. A lot of Droid owners worried about our OMAP3430/A8 proc when the Snap came out but the Droid chipset is still going strong. The thing is you don't always see huge differences in average daily use, more in the benchmarks.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Covert_Death likes this.
  7. Android 17

Android 17 Well-Known Member

The 1ghz snapdragon should be future-proof for at least another year. By that point, if you're a Sprint Premier customer, you can simply upgrade.

8. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

I heard there's a Windows 7 phone coming out w/ 1.3 ghz snapdragon.

9. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I wouldn't want anything more in single core than a 1Ghz Snapdragon, it would probably obliterate the battery. We're going to have some time before we start seeing dual-core. Anyway I'm not worried, I don't plan on running NASA with my phone.

Tallest65 and RiverOfIce like this.
  10. tx_brandon

tx_brandon Well-Known Member

1GHz is plenty for what I'd like to do with my phone until I get to upgrade in a year.

11. wjrandon

wjrandon Well-Known Member

Nvidia's tegra chipset has been whippin' Snapdragons butt since it's conception. Mobile manufacture went to Snapdragon because they already have cozy relationships with the manufacture Qualcomm. My opinion anyway.

12. Caloy

Caloy Well-Known Member

There will always be something better over the horizon. You won't be able to buy a phone if you're looking for the next big thing.

For me, a great processor is the fastest ones that can last a whole days work with slightly higher than average usage without re-charging.

13. sagedil

sagedil Well-Known Member

Yes, future phones will one day have faster processors. To help ensure you are not disappointed, please never again buy a new phone.

14. green91

green91 Member

From the demos and reviews ive read, the snapdragon is butter smooth on pretty much everything, and with the performance gains to allegedly be had in Froyo, im not sure a performance gain is even needed at this point in time. Seems like we'll all have a very powerful and responsive phone to use for the next year without any performance worries.

15. stroths

stroths Well-Known Member

It's going to be a great device for quite a while. There are people still running Android on older hardware and happy with their phones. If you want the latest and greatest, you are going to be disappointed as something faster will inevitably come out within the next year.

While dual core processors can be great, they are nothing new on phones. The HTC Mogul (PPC-6800) had a dual core Qualcomm MSM7500 CPU in it. The main CPU ran at 400MHz for apps while the 2nd CPU was dedicated for just the phone and ran at 133MHz. I am sure it made some difference, but it wasn't really noticeable compared to other single core offerings.

16. macgyver22

macgyver22 Member

That quote about NASA got me laughing. This phone will have WAY more computing power than the NASA computers onboard the Apollo spacecrafts. It's stunning how far we've come and what we were able to do with so little. Using slide rules to land on the moon - amazing!

17. C_Dub

C_Dub Well-Known Member

I am almost certain that we will see dual core CPUs and separate GPUs in phones within three years. An EVO today is more powerful than a full fledged desktop computer from 2000 (or so it seems haha).

18. MrX8503

MrX8503 Well-Known Member

Supposedly the new iPhone releasing in June has an A4 processor. If this is true, even if its an underclocked version, it'll be the fastest phone.

I predict by the end of this year, Snapdragon is going to be old news.

19. C_Dub

C_Dub Well-Known Member

Well yes, it'll use the iPad's A4 but it won't be 1GHz, probably 830-840MHz at best. But even so, having only 256 RAM is kind of limiting what the phone could really do. Snapdragon will be the...wait for it...Snappiest processor this year with the iPhone's A4 being a very close second. But that's not to say that the new iPhone it self won't be quick.

20. RiverOfIce

RiverOfIce Banned

You can get a quadcore laptop and have 2 hour battery life. Or you can have a 1.6ghz atom machine and run 10 hours, your choice.

To be honest. If a 1ghz processor can not run a phone, then you have some serous code issues. Because back in the day, it could run windows xp.

21. apollooff320

apollooff320 Well-Known Member

You really don't need faster CPUs now. What we need is GPU getting in more of the smart phones. Only problem is it will make these phones more expensive and most ppl don't buy cell phones to play high end video games. The snapdragaon cpu should last a long while. I wouldn't be worried about benchmarks since I won't be running benchmark programs on my phone all day.

22. vkdroid

vkdroid Well-Known Member

Easiest solution is to never go on Engadget/Gizmodo etc again. Ignorance is bliss.

RaiseUp151z likes this.
  23. Spdy

Spdy Well-Known Member

yea while its a sure fact that snapdragon will be outperformed by next year there is one thing that we could boast over faster chipsets...BATTERY LIFE..i mean just think what kind of power a dual core would need..and since it seems none of the manufacturers are interested in improving the standard for batterys..its gonna be awhile until we get decent battery life...for me though..being at that 1ghz spot will be enough =)

24. probinson

probinson Well-Known Member

Normally I have buyer's remorse when something I bought gets outclassed a month later. But, with cell phones, since I plan on replacing it every year or two anyway, I will applaud all the interim advances and just think about the great new phone I'll get next time. Now, I just bought a beautiful 65" plasma that I don't plan on replacing for 10 years, so if they come out with 3D TVs (or, better yet, holographic) that were compelling in the next year or two, I'd be sad.

25. rjjr2531

rjjr2531 Well-Known Member

with phones these days, i do want one every year...2 years with the same phone seems too long...i need to get onto this premier plan.