How long will you own your Droid Incredible?General

Last Updated:

1. TxMex81

TxMex81 Member This Topic's Starter

With the arrival of newer phones and Verizon's "New Every Two" deal, how long do you plan on keeping your Droid Incredible? Anyone plan on keeping it more than 2 years?

Advertisement
  2. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

Ask me in 3 years.

3. boilator

boilator Active Member

11 months...

Lator

4. elrabin

elrabin Well-Known Member

i usually upgrade every year, two max

5. jbuck1984

jbuck1984 Well-Known Member

Absolutely not... in fact I skip the 100 dollar rebate usually and upgrade during the early upgrade period. The new every 2 promo is kinda crap n e way since they came up with mail in rebates....

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

6. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

I upgrade by full retail price, refuse to give Verizon a new contract under the new ETF policy. I'll be most likely "upgrading" when the new Moto's come out.

7. mrjinglesusa

mrjinglesusa Well-Known Member

I'll get a new phone when 4G is available in my area and there is a good Android phone capable of 4G on Verizon.

8. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

6 Months tops.

9. sylent101

sylent101 Well-Known Member

Till next yr July...I see no point in buying another 3g phone for 600 dollars that has a couple of extra features over mine, most Android phones have the same type of experience anyway. Waiting for a superphone with Android 2.3, lte and a 4 inch screen. A rooted incredible can tie me over till then. :)

10. 92slammer

92slammer Well-Known Member

till the droid X comes out...LOL

11. trankster

trankster Well-Known Member

2 at least. As long as it meets my needs and there is not something significantly better. I am pretty happy with what I have with the Inc and have had no issues except for my learning curve :rolleyes:.

12. iPenguin

iPenguin Well-Known Member

For those of you that upgrade in a matter of 6 months, do you pay full retail price for the phone? And is the price offset by selling the previous phone? How much of the cost can you recover doing this?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to the smartphone market, but already know I don't want to be tied down to the same device for an extended period of time. Thanks in advance.

13. SingJsong

SingJsong Well-Known Member

Damn, some of you really are dedicated. Dropping several hundred every couple of months for a new phone. Granted you get some back if you sell, it but still...

14. 92slammer

92slammer Well-Known Member

i have 4 lines on my account......that way i get a new phone every few months...lol

15. jayefef

jayefef Well-Known Member

I don't have the cash to throw around and the phone is pretty awesome right now. As someone who had an enV 2 for 2 yrs and 8 months I can hang on to the Incredible for a while. Plus I figure LTE will be up and running by then and I will be able to score a sweet new Android Red Velvet Cake (I guess they'll be on R for names).

16. callmeox

callmeox Well-Known Member

I had my Razr for 3.5 years and my BB Curve for 18 months, so unless I'm on a downward trend I would expect about the same as the Curve.

For those who pay full retail, I have a question:

When you get a phone on contract with a subsidy, the carrier makes the difference back over time with the voice and data plan.

When you pay retail on a phone, the monthly cost for the voice and data plan is the same as subsidized customers are paying. Since the carrier didn't subsidize your purchase, they are actually making more per month off of you as a customer.

Is contract free agency worth the extra overall cost?

kyler13, Sek0n and GrandMasterB like this.
  17. acousticgtarist

acousticgtarist Well-Known Member

Unless something groundbreaking comes out, I'll wait for LTE. This phone does almost everything I could want. The only 2 gripes I have are the stock battery life and the faint notification light.

18. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I signed a 1 year contract for my Moto Droid for $229. Used for 7 months and sold on Ebay for $308 to buy my Incredible for $229 on a 1 year contract which I will also sell in 6 months give or take.

I have 3 lines on my family plan all under 1 year contracts so there is an upgrade every 4 months or so. I have payed full retail for a smartphone before (Samsung Omnia) and its just a loosing situation. I mean you do get the phone you wanted but you will never be able to recoup the money you invested.

You have a very good point. I have all my lines under contract. The only time I pay full retail is if there is no other way to get the next big thing or for my wife or kids device. Example I payed $219 full retail for my wifes Motorola so I could save her upgrade to go towards something big like the Moto Droid or the Incredible.

My advice to everyone reading would be to go ahead and sign that contract but always choose the 1 year contract. For $29-$59 more you can get a new phone every 10 months and always be that much closer to contract free if you decide to leave. No more stuck with the same phone for 20 or more months at a time. IMO of course ;)

sunseeker1066, callmeox and iPenguin like this.
  19. Divine_Madcat

Divine_Madcat Well-Known Member

Probably around a year or so. To be safe, i purchased my phone on a 1 year contract (not to mention that i was able to get it at $230 for one year), should something really neat and new come out. I figure in that time, the Inc will still be at least worth what i paid this year, so i figure it works either way..

20. appleaj

appleaj Well-Known Member

My typical time is ~1.5 years. If my upgrade isn't ready, I just use someone else's on my family plan.

21. HTCIncredible

HTCIncredible Well-Known Member

As soon as I can upgrade to a new phone in 2 years!

22. llystra2008

llystra2008 Member

With 2 phones exactly a year apart Ill be updating next year. Handing the Dinc down to my sister. If they have buy one get one free see if they will give me whats out than for free.

23. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA) VIP Member

As soon as I'm eligible, my next phone will be purchased.

24. Tomoko

Tomoko Well-Known Member

1) when my next NE2 Is ready
    2) When LTE is available in my area

Once both conditions are met, new phone!

25. gmaellex01

gmaellex01 Well-Known Member

Wow, so many early upgraders . I'll definitely keep my phone for two years (unless it breaks and I get an insurance replacement). That's about how long it will take for tech to make a significant improvement, significant to me, anyway.

In two years displays, battery, everything will be way way better.