How mad would you be if Andriod 3.0 lost it's complexity and moved to

Would you be happy if Android 3.0 is like Apple ios 4?

1. I would be happy if Android 3.0 is like ios 4!

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. I would be not be happy if Android 3.0 is like ios 4!

67 vote(s)
    94.4%

Last Updated:

1. darklide

darklide Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How mad would you be if Andriod 3.0 lost it's complexity, uniqueness, customization and cool factor and moved to be more like Apple ios 4?

Say if Android 3.0 is pretty much a replica to Apples, ios 4?

Advertisement
  2. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

Wouldn't bother me if the remaining work before 3.x was focused on efficiency, quickness, and battery conservation.

3. seeking

seeking Well-Known Member

if that happened my next phone would be a windows phone 7 device

4. Drhyde

Drhyde Well-Known Member

Well, I'd probably stop using it. The customization and quirkiness of Android is what makes it appealing. Why would anyone want to use something that looks just like iOS? It's one of the reasons I don't like the skinned ROM on the Vibrant. Why not just get an iPhone at that point?

5. darklide

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. cr0wnest

cr0wnest Well-Known Member

I want Android 3.0 to be anything but iOS4.

Copying apple's style will only give the apple fanboys more reasons to diss the android platform. And on top of that, google should not be copying apple or any other company for anything. I'd rather they come up with something completely new, something google and their fans can be proud of.

7. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

If it lost its customization? Hmmm I might have to do some re thinking on what my next phone would be too.

Thats one of the things I fell in love with. Lots of free or low cost customization too?

8. Hangdog42

Hangdog42 Well-Known Member

How would that happen? Android is open source and Google can't lock it down the way Apple locks down iOS4. The source code is always available, so developers will always be able to customize and play to their hearts content.

What is more likely is that phone manufacturers will try to lock down what can run on the phones by doing things like only running signed ROMs.

9. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

I am hearing all these rumors of UI overhaul but still unsure on what that will bring.

It is possible that they make it plain jane like iPhone and if they do, I would probably go with WebOS.

I used an iPhone and came away bored as hell. It was one of the worst experiences ever. Its just a bunch of 4x4 grids, (off topic, the damn browser doesn't render the entire page. Using it is a headache).

10. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

They said it'll be along the line of the 3D gallery, so I'd say we have little to fear. Also, some dude from Palm who used to be in charge of webOS GUI is now working for Google, so...

11. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Well, I just bit the bullet on the ETF for my iPhone 3Gs so I could get an Android handset (Droid X), so if Google made my new phone like my old phone, I'd be pissed. But I don't think that will happen, Google is smart enough to know that people are switching BECAUSE they want something different than iOS, so becoming more like iOS would be a step in the wrong direction. I'm not going to sweat it. Besides, if the update isn't what I want, i just won't do it. I ran 3.0.1 on my iPhone for about 9 months straight even though there were updates available. Then finally updated to 3.1.3 just before iOS4 came out. But it's still on 3.1.3, jailbroken of course. But I don't see why you couldn't just ignore the OTA update if it was a step in the wrong direction for you.

12. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

why not have a customizable OS that's also polished and elegant?

13. TDQuiksilver

TDQuiksilver Well-Known Member

iOS is garbage. The lack of customization and inability to individualize one's phone would kill Android.

14. jradicle11

jradicle11 That Guy VIP Member

Google hired the WebOS designer for the Android 3.0 design. Should be something different but if it happens to be similar to another OS, it would be WebOS.

15. darklide

All I can say is I hope Google's Android isn't moving to Cloud storage.

Though with everything going to Cloud I can see it.

16. saltorio

saltorio Well-Known Member

What a silly poll. First of all, where are you coming from on this? Have you read rumors that Google is abandoning open source and adopting the Apple walled-garden model for Android? The only rumors I've heard of Android 3.0 (ie: Honeycomb) is that Google is looking to revamp the UI to make vendor skinning less needed.

And does this really need a poll (let alone a thread on an Android forum)? Should the answer not be obvious?

But to humor you: I'd be pissed if Google did turn Android into an iOS clone, sure.

You do realize that Microsoft is in fact mimicking Apple's philosophy with Windows Phone 7, right down to the first release lacking cut-and-paste, multi-tasking, and the like?

17. 0sync0

0sync0 Well-Known Member

I don't find Android complex at all.

18. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

I would also be upset if it were renamed "Andriod".

19. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^lol...I missed that....

20. Droidable

Droidable Well-Known Member

God forbit that happens i would just get that other phone.

21. MJM128

MJM128 Well-Known Member

Well if by complexity you mean by all the features that it has that make me love android then yes I would dislike that. If you mean it's easier to use then sure i'd go for that. Uniqueness? I think that's an over valued word. As long as it gets the job done who cares, but moving to the next point i WANT the option to customize the device to become me. So in terms of uniqueness I have no problems if the stock rom of android is nothing unique, but there is still the option to make the device me. As for coolness factor, I hardly see it losing that.

They sure aren't copying the UI. The WP7 ui is UGLY! Guess that's just them being "different" though.