Do you still have an activated Ally?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
  2. No

22 vote(s)

Last Updated:

1. imnotmikal

imnotmikal Well-Known Member Developer

DROID 3 is definitely a good replacement. I love mine so much. Probably upgrading to DROID 4 when it comes out.

2. Biotic

Biotic Well-Known Member Developer

Its gna have the same cons as the razr u understand that correct? Locked boot loader built in battery ect
  3. imnotmikal

Locked bootloader = Doesn't really matter, it still gets root and roms. I'm running ICS on my locked bootloader phone right now.

Non-removable battery = Doesn't matter either. A power cycle is easily done with a button combination that bypasses the software entirely. It works even when the entire phone is locked up
  4. SyrStorm

SyrStorm Well-Known Member

Well my ally is currently activated, but tomorrow i will be deactivating it as soon as my newly ordered droid razr maxx comes in the mail from verizon. I will say imma miss this community, as well as the great roms and things that have made this phone very fun and made rooting clear to me as to what it was. To all the devs, thanks for the great rom support because it was fun flashing many many roms. I will be testing velocity 1.2.2 beta 18 as my last rom with this phone activated, but i am pretty sure i will be open to test further roms or what not with this once im done. Ill check around every so often and leave feedback. Thanks.

And a general question to anyone, unless i should post elsewhere, but will roms for the razr work on the razr maxx? And all the time? Thanks again.
  5. imnotmikal

Yep, all RAZR roms work on the MAXX. They're the same exact phone, just one has a larger battery. They run the same software versions.
    Biotic likes this.
  6. SyrStorm

SyrStorm Well-Known Member

Okay good because on dumbass target tech dude when i first went was like "oh the maxx has the extended battery and a faster cpu" and i knew the faster cpu part was wrong cuz i do my research but it made me think. But so thatll be very convenient so for everything i can go do the razr thread. Thanks
  7. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member

Are we a Tobuscus fan. LOL
  8. Earthalker

Earthalker Member

I am using an Ally. Even if it is only because my Droid OG died!
  9. nolalamb

nolalamb New Member

I have mine as does my wife. I've rooted with Velocity. I am about to root the wife's. Great phone. The keyboard comes in handy with or without Swype and/or Speech to text. I don't see a reasonable replacement for the price yet. We got ours free for a two year agreement with Verizon over a year ago.
  10. Zero5295

Zero5295 Active Member

Yup still rockin' this dino lol XP Hope to upgrade to the Stratosphere or a better phone in April: been having too many hardware problems for my liking. :/ Plus I need more RAM :p
  11. odbo255

odbo255 Active Member

I've upgraded a line of service to a Moto D4. Been using it for about 5 days so far.

It's not perfect, but neither was the Ally. Overall I think its a very comparable replacement. I will probably upgrade the other lines of service soon. I prefer to remain on a single handset at a time...
  12. gb2003

gb2003 Member

mine is still activated.upgrade coming in july.just got a new battery for it and running velocity 1.2.....its been a great first android.been lookin at the htc rezound or a droid bionic but still have some time to hoping i can keep my old alltel unlimited plan.
  13. Alex Wekell

Alex Wekell Active Member

Gave mine to my girlfriend and moved on up to a Droid:Bionic with CM9 and ICS :p

Never noticed how tiny and slow my phone was...
    j2cool2012 likes this.
  14. daisy40

daisy40 Well-Known Member

I deactivated my Ally on Friday and switched the the Razr Maxx! I had a good run with the Ally, but I wanted to do more with my phone, and I wasn't able to due to the Ally's limitations. So, the day I could upgrade, I did.
  15. swc2001

swc2001 Well-Known Member

I came from the Ally to the Bionic as well. Where did you get cm9? I would really like to have it. Is it fully functional? What update do you have to be on? Thanks in advance.
  16. siohwito

siohwito Member

I still have two Ally phones active on my Verizon account; one is being used by my wife. There are two more I know of being used by in-laws. The day the warranty expired on all four of them is the day they were loaded with the Velocity ROM. Will keep them activated as long as they keep working.
  17. casper55117

casper55117 Active Member

i switched to a moto x a few weeks ago. but right after i did i found a work around for cm7 on the ally. loaded it up just to see what its like and i must say ive thought about changing back just because im not too happy about having a locked boot loader. thank god for 2nd int roms. droid x is running cm9. gotta love ics
  18. D1L

D1L New Member

2 here. Due in July. Thought I want an actual keyboard, but now that I am kind of getting used to the touchscreen, doesn't seem to mather much. Was thinking about keeping it, but with all the "SD card removed" issue lately, guess it is time to change.
  19. x-amp

x-amp Well-Known Member

upgrade to the LG spectrum at the beginning of February. Didn't have much a choice, Ally front screen blacked out and inside was already gone. It was a nicked ribbon :-(.
    New phones a beast though.
  20. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

Deactivated my Ally Monday and went to the Bionic with a extended battery. Yes the Razr and Razr Maxx are the latest and greatest but the Bionic is right behind them and CHEAP!
    I seriously considered the Razr, but cheap is the main reason I went with Ally in the first place, and the Bionic is going to be a good enough replacement for the next two years.
  21. jaison80

jaison80 Well-Known Member

I had that SD card issue too. When i rooted and installed Velocity I no longer had those problems.
  22. xepicxacidx

xepicxacidx Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat as you but I think imma go with the Razr
  23. DruidXXX

DruidXXX Member

i guess im a collector lol. i got three still activated on my accounts. not due for an upgrade until June. so little time to go i actually decided to root and install a custom ROM. was hard since a lot of the links are now dead and there's not much support. got enough ROMs to keep me occupied until then. Some of the newer ROMS make a world of difference! :D
  24. jhcii

jhcii Well-Known Member

I still have mine. Still using it daily and I think I'm stuck with it till Sept, but not sure. I also have one that's not activated and just using it as a "mini tablet".......
  25. jeb_hoge

jeb_hoge Active Member

Still using mine, although today it got its first real damage when I dropped onto some sidewalk concrete. Tiny crack in the screen just in the black by the Search icon. I'm thinking that come June, when my contract truly ends, we're going to revamp our entire mobile phone philosophy and switch over to prepaid. I'll get a good unlocked something or other from and put a $30/mo T-Mobile plan on it, and when I do, I'll have to decide what to do with the Ally.