• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many Android phones are still running with 1.5?

I'm on 1.5 and with Orange...Prob a stoopid question to ask but why does it matter if Orange don't authorise this release, surely there will be a way to update my phone anyway?
There is. But you risk any warranty you have with Orange by removing the Orange branding.

Plus if you have Orange care insurance, they have been known to refuse insurance claims where 'non approved software updates' have been used.

There was a run of Nokia owners complaining on the official Nokia forums a year or so back at Orange and Nokia not honouring warranties where people had changed the product code so the got the 1st released generic updates.

Upvote 0
carriers have to pay to have the updates added to their network, as well as the testing the carriers need to do, it's an expensive proposition for them. Multiply that by more than one android handset, you have a headache for the carrier that they really don't want.

HTC, or any other handset manufacturer, has to be asked by the carrier for the update, the carriers are actually the customers of the device manufacturer and they make the updates specific to the carriers desires. Thats where the crapware comes in..

So even tho it may behoove the carrier to buy these updates and invest the monies, it's a gamble as to what they will do as they weigh the cost benefit of doing so. They may piss of customers in the long run by not updating the software as it comes out, but they already have you in a contract. This will work for carriers for awhile untill the public gets tired of it, eventually.

Upvote 0
i figured more phones have 1.5 then anything else. What phones even run 1.6? Must suck to be them, stuck between Sense and 2.0.

I thought the same, in fact I thought that about 70-80% of users would have 1.5 with the remainder being rooted phones and Nexus users. Must be some pretty popular phones running 1.6 - just can't think what it might be (unless its another load of rooted phones, in which case there are a tonnes more people doing that than I would have suspected)

Edit: *googles* G1 is one of them apparently which might explain it.

Upvote 0
Just looked on my dext and that is still on 1.5 which means I can't have google earth on my phone as that needs 2.1(I think)

Correct!!! I just got the Cliq XT, and stuck w/ 1.5. At this point I wouldn't care if I only got a 1.6 update. It would be better than 1.5. Then maybe I can actually use most of the apps in the market.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones