1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

How many apps fit onto homescreen of S4?Support

1. Jonty918

Jonty918 New Member

I can see that the bottom "fixed" row of apps on S4 (which remains in place when you swipe between different homescreens) contains 5 apps.

But for the rest of the homescreen, each row only contains 4 apps. Does anybody know if it's possible to insert an extra app into those rows?

In other words the maximum number of apps on the stock home screen would then be 5 rows, each containing 5 app icons i.e. 25apps ?

Advertisement
    :
  2. blulite127

blulite127 Well-Known Member

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
    Jonty918 likes this.
  3. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

The stock grid is 4x4 and there is no option for changing it. For rooted users there has been a touchwiz mod that allowed custom grid sizes 4x5, 5x5 etc as you will find in most launchers on the market. I would expect to see the same for the SGS4. I personally found that 4x5 was a good compromise for the screen size AND allowed most widgets to fit properly without getting cut off either vertically or horizontally. Can get dicey going up from there widgets depending.
    Jonty918 likes this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

You can use another launcher if you prefer
    RichSz and Jonty918 like this.
  5. LeoRexus

LeoRexus Well-Known Member

Get a third party launcher like Nova or Apex. No rooting required and you can change as much or as little as you want.
    Jonty918 likes this.
  6. blulite127

blulite127 Well-Known Member

S4 comes with nova out thevbox

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Jonty918

Jonty918 New Member

Thank you everyone for the info - very useful
  8. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I was under the impression Samsung used TouchWiz exclusively. Can you point to where you read that? Nova is my preferred launcher and I'd be psyched if it was the S4's default.
  9. crabman

crabman Well-Known Member

Certainly there is no dearth of good launchers on the market but another launcher isn't going to work if you like touchwiz and want to use it. This means making do with the limitations Samsung gave us or modding it get options like changing the default grid.

To the OP, you should install another launcher even if you wish to use touchwiz. If there is a backup launcher to go to the phone will do it automatically if the default launcher stops or has other issues. This will give you a working device immediately to see you through till you can go back and sort out the phone after the fact, get your data off of it, etc.
  10. JerZyT28

JerZyT28 Active Member

I use apex launcher.. I keep 7 apps in my dock, everything else in the app drawer
  11. edward90

edward90 Well-Known Member

For some reason I can't bunch apps together like I could with the S3 ..was this a software change in jellybean 4.2 ? Or am I missing something?
  12. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

I read about this on one of the reviews. It's the way that TouchWiz is that acts differently from stock Android. It was one of the negatives for the review. Something like you have to make the folder first I think. But they said you can't just drag an app over another app like you should be able to. Try Droid Life or Gizmodo and look for their full review. I think it was in one or the other, probably Droid Life.
  13. edward90

edward90 Well-Known Member

I'll check it out ..but touchwiz didn't do that on the S3 ..