how many gigs have you used so far?

Last Updated:

1. deucedaprodeuca

deucedaprodeuca Banned This Topic's Starter

Its been 15 days for many of you. My X will be here in a few days. Anyone connect an ipod to your X hotspot and watch youtube? How many gigs/megabytes have you used so far with the hotspot? Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Rockaholic

Rockaholic Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity you won't be the one with the iPod right?

3. blackwizard

blackwizard Active Member

why would you connect an ipod to your X to watch youtube? the screen is MUCH larger on the X, not to mention a better resolution (excluding the iPaperweight 4)

4. deucedaprodeuca

Actually, my daughter has the iPod Touch. She likes to watch Americas Funniest Videos at home on he iPod. When we leave home, there's no wifi signal and we travel a lot, so I think is cool that the DX offers a mobile hot spot.

5. deucedaprodeuca

There's IS a reason why you can connect other devices to the DX wifi you know.

6. kevroc

kevroc Member

I haven't used the 3G Hotspot feature too much yet, but it works okay so far. A few points on it.

It works as an access point versus an ad-hoc network which is really, really, really nice (yes, 3 "reallys"). If you root or use an unofficial tether app odds are they are "ad-hoc" network modes and require manual connections every time from whatever device.

The 3G Hotspot mode is pretty seamless, launch the app, check the box and a few seconds later your good to go.

A couple of downsides to it. If it doesn't detect a connection for 10 minutes it turns itself off. The only way to turn it back on is to manually check the box. That can be quite the hassle. Also, I was testing it yesterday and let a web page up that auto refreshed and it held the connection for a solid hour, but then every few minutes it would start disabling itself. I went through that a few times and finally gave up and called verizon. They didn't have any suggestions other they doing a factory reset on the phone to see if that would help....yeah, great...

There doesn't seem to be any way to track data usage. The rep at Verizon didn't have any suggestions either. Since I have unlimited data on the X that's all that shows up on my usage summary, it doesn't seem to split out X usage versus 3G usage.

Update:

Well I just logged into My Verizon online and I can check my data usage details where it lists out every connection and it does differentiate between 3G Hotspot and Unlimited, you can click the column heading to sort it by data type but then would have to add it up manually.

Here's a short copy/paste from mine. The 3G is a 2GB allowance with .05 cents per megabyte for overage.

07/29/2010 3:53 PM 3G MOBILE HOTSPOT 2GB/.05 2.65 MB
    07/29/2010 4:08 PM 3G MOBILE HOTSPOT 2GB/.05 0.14 MB
    07/30/2010 10:48 AM 3G MOBILE HOTSPOT 2GB/.05 0.02 MB
    07/20/2010 8:55 AM UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW 3073.76 KB
    07/20/2010 10:06 AM UNLIMITED MEGABYTE ALLOW 6410.09 KB

deucedaprodeuca likes this.
  7. Clittzen

Clittzen Well-Known Member

In Kilobytes
    1,626,876 KB ​

In Megabytes*
    1,589 MB​

In Gigabytes*
    2 GB​

8. Doit2it

Doit2it Well-Known Member Contributor

I agree with blackwizard, I wouldn't use the X for tether with an iPod cause the X's screen is better. If you have an iPad or Net/Notebook, have at it. That being said, I do not have tether, but my unlimited this month is as follows:

July 4th to the 16th - 12.5 days
    HTC Eris
    651,039.8 Kbs

July 16th to July 31st - 15.5 days
    Driod X
    939,555.3 Kbs

My mobile internet consumption has increased by almost 44% (I think my math is right) because the Droid X is a dream to browse, watch YouTube, and do anything else on the internet.

9. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Op didnt' last long did he? Man I used the crap outta my Eris when I first got it. I haven't had an android phone of my own since May!! :eek: I'm gonna go crazy on this thing when I get it!

10. Phantom_LS2

Phantom_LS2 Well-Known Member

Since getting the phone on launch day, here is my usage:

In Kilobytes
    2,966,101 KB ​

In Megabytes*
    2,897 MB​

In Gigabytes*
    3 GB​

11. potterdood

potterdood Well-Known Member

you can also use an app that I like, it's called 3g watch dog, tracks it for you.