• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many of you are switching from a BB to the Droid

Had a BB Pearl and my only complaint is I have become more of a mobile web user and that Pearl's screen was too small for the most part. Otherwise I was happy with it. I wanted a Storm 2 and really tried to make myself like it but I just couldn't deal with the click screen.

I am sort of the beta tester for my work with the Droid and I have already said we should stay with BB for almost everyone. A BB seems is much easier to manage for a group of end users who are not tech savvy.

As for the Apple iPhone (or iPod touch), it is really a nice combination of hardware and software. While I can see Droid lovers not liking the lack of customizations available and the limit of running one app at a time, the lock down of the OS and generally solid apps are nice for many people. I just distributed over 850 iPod touches to people with a great response. (I am in K-12 education and they are made perfect for us.)

Upvote 0
I know I am switching over, but curious to see how many crackberry users are switching over as well.

I came from a Curve, which suffered from horrid slowdown and general Blackberry related quirks. I loved the Blackberry messaging ecosystem, but other than that, the device left a lot to be desired. Moving to the Droid, I feel like I just left Windows 3.1 for Windows 7.

Upvote 0
Former Storm 1 owner who recently switched to the Droid and so glad I did!

I was always slightly envious of my iPhone touting peers but didn't want to make the switch to gawd-awful AT&T. So, when I got the chance to upgrade from my aging Treo early this year, I jumped onto the Storm bandwagon. Boy, was that an experience in masochistic tech torture - constant hybrid OS installs, battery pulls, OCD-like memory management, hardware probs like dust under the screen, Surepress not clicking, etc. Going through three Storms totally soured me on RIM and Blackberry's for good, so the Storm 2 was out of the question.

Finally, Verizon releases the Droid, I make the switch through Best Buy's GSBTPP, and I can't be any happier. Android 2.0 makes RIM's OS look like Windows 98 - antiquated and slow. The Droid truly is THE best phone in VZW's lineup. It's even made my iPhone lugging colleagues pause and wonder if they should switch over. FREE Google Maps Nav, the screen, multiple apps running in the background, and widgets, are just a few of the things they seem to really admire.

Upvote 0
Jumped on the BB storm2 the day it came out was looking forward to getting this phone it is a nice phone. I never had the 1st one so i couldn't compare the two. Used it a lot and loved getting my emails quickly, but the browser kinda sucks. The sure press was alright tho not a big fan.

Anyways still under 30 days so I went to my local verizon paid the restocking fee and got the Moto Droid this is by far the best phone i have used. I do realize there are some things that need to be worked out but overall awesome. Droid Does

Upvote 0
I switched from an Alltel Curve 8330 to Droid on November 6th. Huge improvement in all areas and I'm not sorry I made the switch. The Curve wasn't a bad device, my biggest gripe was the long holds during some app loading and sometimes just for reasons unknown. The Moto Droid switches from app to app seamlessly and no more staring at that stupid hourglass. :D

Upvote 0
Had the storm1 one since it first came out and just when I got rid of it it was finally starting to run fast and work well after many itierations of beta software etc.

I held and looked at the storm2 and thought to myself it really didnt seem any better at all!

Loving my droid. Even the people that I work with was surprised at how fast and responsive the phone is.

Upvote 0
LG Dare-->BB Curve 8330-->Droid(coming today lol)

Well overall i loved my curve but I wanted something new. I was tired of the battery reset everytime i tried to just send a group MMS. I was also dissappionted overall in the bb app world.

so when i got the option to upgrade i went to the vzw store with the intention to get the Driod based on i didnt like complete touch screen phones and the horid stories i herd about storm1 and i felt like tour wasnt really an upgrade for me. Although the the Storm2 still caught my attention and i was kinda likin the feelin of the surepres. i think i also like the familiarity of the bb os. but after playin with the driod i was sold. i hope i dont regret my decision...

Upvote 0
I came from the tour. Have been a faithful BB user for years and just got tired of the problems and slow hardware. The trackball on my 3rd tour was messing up so I told verizon I wanted something different and they have the best customer service because they said no problem and gave me the droid. Best phone I have ever had. I don't see me ever going back to a BB.

Upvote 0
Is there anything similar to Viigo (consolidated newsreader) available for the Droid? This isn't a hi-tech app, but I have to say about 25% of the time when I'm holding my Storm, I'm reading obsessively through news feeds from about 150 different sites, and I'd be lost without something like this with non-BB devices. What about Yelp? UrbanSpoon? ScoreMobile? An Amazon app? An eBay app? I sound almost like an IPhone guy, worried about losing my apps if I switch to the Droid (or Passion, if it ever comes out), but frankly, I've got my Storm just where I want it now...and can't decide between Storm 2 and the Droid or wait for the HTC Passion.

I really loved my Storm despite all its shortcomings. My plan all along was to upgrade to Storm2, but then I started seeing all the Droid talk. Pushing a week now with the Droid and I can say I'm offically hooked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones