• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many of you have owned an Apple device?

Putting ICS on the Kindle Fire made it crazy fast, and easier to type with. I read many reviews of the fire which had made illogical claims of it being competition for the iPad and nicknamed an iPad killer. I was just mocking the nickname. The reviews were basing it on a kindle fire post root and custom ROM, not the stock setup

If you haven't noticed, ANY non-Apple tablet that comes out is pinned as an 'iPad Killer' by the media/tech blogs. It's up to the reader to read between the lines.

Example headline:

"[Insert new tablet name here], The Next iPad Killer?"

Just google iPad killer. See what I mean? Currently it's the Surface. Who really thinks the Surface is an iPad killer?

Upvote 0
Seriously? Comparing apples sic, and oranges here IMO, you have to compare like with like. The Kindle is NO "iPad-killer". It's primarily designed as an e-book reader. The iPad is also around four or five times more expensive than the Kindle.

You can't really judge lag in Android based on just one budget e-book reader. BTW I do have two 4.0 devices, they're certainly not laggy at all.

To be fair, wasn't the Kindle Fire billed as an iPad Killer in the press and all over the net?

You are correct about some Kindles being less, but their top of the line 8.9" KF is five hundred dollars. Just saying.

Upvote 0
To be fair, wasn't the Kindle Fire billed as an iPad Killer in the press and all over the net?

You are correct about some Kindles being less, but their top of the line 8.9" KF is five hundred dollars. Just saying.

Yep, but that was more because it was being market by Amazon than any technological attributes. I am invoking the "If you don't have anything nice to say" clause about the Kindle Fire. ;)

Upvote 0
Lets face it as jhawk said no 1 android tab will ever be an ipad killer but thats not to say that certain android tabs are not better. Its simply because there are just too many android tabs for one to simply overtake and outsell the ipad by itself.

And seriously this ipad killer stuff is really just a media ploy. Oh and the kindle fire never had the specs to kill the ipad it was just amazons marketing skills as said by luna.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones