• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories How many of you HTC Hero users use some sort of case/phone protector?

What kind of case do you use?

• Hard Case

Votes: 50 40.0%
  • Silicone Case

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • Leather Case

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • No case

Votes: 30 24.0%

• Total voters
I used to keep my hero completely stock, but after my first one needed to be replaced, i decided that I should use a case to keep scratches and chips off of it. I hate screen protectors on capacitive touch screens, and I found out that the glass is high quality, unlike my ipod touch 2G (which has really ugly scratches). Because the glass is very hard, keys, coins, knives, etc do not affect it. There are youtube videos that illustrate this. Basically, don't get it near titanium or diamonds and there is almost no way you will damage it. I use the bodyglove case that Sprint sells. Really nice, but a bit bulky.

Upvote 0
I used to keep my hero completely stock, but after my first one needed to be replaced, i decided that I should use a case to keep scratches and chips off of it. I hate screen protectors on capacitive touch screens, and I found out that the glass is high quality, unlike my ipod touch 2G (which has really ugly scratches). Because the glass is very hard, keys, coins, knives, etc do not affect it. There are youtube videos that illustrate this. Basically, don't get it near titanium or diamonds and there is almost no way you will damage it. I use the bodyglove case that Sprint sells. Really nice, but a bit bulky.

Hmm my wedding band is titanium, maybe I should keep my screen protector on!:)

Currently my Hero doesn't have a case, I was using a cheapo hard one for a while but didn't like the added bulk and the raised belt clip hole. I am thinking about getting the Innocase, it seems to be the least bulky of the hard cases, and folks on the board seem to like it. Any issues w/ overheating when the phone is totally encased w/ the Innocase? I've noticed the phone gets a little hot during long phone calls or w/ certain apps, and that's w/o a case.

Upvote 0
I like the Hero best naked. After reading a poster who bounced his phone twice with the Sprint silicone case and no damage I bought them.I've tried hard cases and didn't like them. At home it is usually naked. At work it is in a silicone case and a Case Logic belt clip holster. Running around it is in the silicone and placed in the small poket on the leg of my cargo pants. The silicone is so simple to take on and off too. I've really grown to like them.I truly hate screen protectors.

Upvote 0
I really don`t see the point in buying a case, the phone companies try and make the phones as strong as possible, i.e super non scratch screen reinforced connections.The extra force that the case will take will be very minimal, unless you put it in a stupidly large padded case, the phones components will still receive the same amount of force when dropped.
I watched a program where the famous product designer philippe starck was talking about the most pointless products and one of his alltime was phone/walkman cases,A product cannot be truely called good design if it breaks after small knocks or bumps.The phone companies know this, so do all they can to try and prevent it.

Now I know their are clumsy people out their , my GF for one but she has dropped her hero several times from very high up and not a single problem with it.not even any scratches or dents.

And ok yeah you will get maybe

Upvote 0
I do a couple of options
First I have the ZAGG Invisible Shield screen protector.
I have a generic Leather case I where on my belt while at work (Funny it is the same one I used for my Instinct)
I have the Sprint silicone soft cases for when I am outdoors (disk golfer and love to track through fields & woods looking for lost disks)
Most of the time though my hero is Naked! :D

Upvote 0
I really don`t see the point in buying a case, the phone companies try and make the phones as strong as possible, i.e super non scratch screen reinforced connections.The extra force that the case will take will be very minimal, unless you put it in a stupidly large padded case, the phones components will still receive the same amount of force when dropped.
I watched a program where the famous product designer philippe starckwas talking about the most pointless products and one of his alltime was phone/walkman cases,A product cannot be truely called good design if it breaks after small knocks or bumps.The phone companies know this, so do all they can to try and prevent it.

Now I know their are clumsy people out their , my GF for one but she has dropped her hero several times from very high up and not a single problem with it.not even any scratches or dents.

And ok yeah you will get maybe

Upvote 0
Sprint let's you do the replacement at one year now though. I think I can make this survive without a case for that period of time.

True. However, prior to upgrading my plan to what I am on with my Hero, I didn't qualify for the premium customer whatever-they-call-it. I've been with Sprint for 7 years, and have payed about $100 a month for that long. BUT, they tell me as long as I have good standing for the next 3 months with this new plan I am on, I will qualify. Its nice to hear that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones