• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many of you sync your Facebook Contacts with Phone?

Once last time, I sync my Facebook app with my phone contacts. Then it "mess" up my contacts such as changing for me names of my contacts to what the contact use in Facebook. Because of that, I had nightmare.

I am just curious how many of you do sync your Facebook app with phone contacts? I ask because with all the integration of Google with Facebook and Twitter or even with social media websites, I was wondering to try sync again or not.

Like what's the benefits to sync?

Share your views please. :)

Thanks!

I do. I found that to solve the problem with Facebook last names, you link the Facebook contact TO your google contact, not the other way around. If you link the Google contact to the facebook contact, it will use the name that's on facebook.

I find it extremely helpful to have my facebook contacts right in my phone. That way, if I need to contact somebody that isn't in my regular phonebook, i can contact them quickly.

Reactions: KENNECTED
Upvote 0
I do. I found that to solve the problem with Facebook last names, you link the Facebook contact TO your google contact, not the other way around. If you link the Google contact to the facebook contact, it will use the name that's on facebook.

I find it extremely helpful to have my facebook contacts right in my phone. That way, if I need to contact somebody that isn't in my regular phonebook, i can contact them quickly.

So I done the wrong way?

So then, how do I link FACEBOOK to GOOGLE? :) (right?) =D

Please advise.

Upvote 0
I, personally, don't bother with it. It just filled my Contacts with people that I'd never want to call or text.

QFT.

I did use Facebook Phonebook (the built in widget in the stock market facebook app) however, they removed it a few iterations back, I really liked that widget, it was useful only a few times, and only for friends who actually had their phone numbers on their profiles...which was like 1/6 my friends. If you put your phone # on facebook, and your under 30, you should think twice....prank call alert!

Upvote 0
click on the google contact, i.e. the one with the name you want to keep. Then hit link, then select the facebook contact. This should link the two but keep the name you had on the google contact.

This is what I do. Allows you to be selective.

I don't use Facebook, and I don't sync my contacts with Google or Verizon's backup assistant. Any changes I make to my contacts I export them to the SDcard.

Why would you do that? If you lose your phone, you lose the SD card, too. And why on Earth would you not use Verizon backup?

Upvote 0
I, personally, don't bother with it. It just filled my Contacts with people that I'd never want to call or text.
I feel the same way. The people in my contacts are people I have real need to have contact with, the Facebook people are, for the most part, just that. Not to say the two don't mingle, but I have no need to keep the contact information of the beekeepers from all over the world I have as 'friends' on Facebook (for example).

Upvote 0
This is what I do. Allows you to be selective.

Why would you do that? If you lose your phone, you lose the SD card, too. And why on Earth would you not use Verizon backup?

Why on earth would I lose my phone? I can't remember how many cell phones I've had over the years, I've never lost one. I think it's called being responsible. Not to mention I backup my SD card to my PC on a regular basis.

I don't use backup assistant because I don't want or need to.

Upvote 0
I am just curious how many of you do sync your Facebook app with phone contacts? I ask because with all the integration of Google with Facebook and Twitter or even with social media websites, I was wondering to try sync again or not.
I don't. It's completely your call.

Why on earth would I lose my phone? I can't remember how many cell phones I've had over the years, I've never lost one. I think it's called being responsible.
It's called being lucky. Things happen even to responsible people.

Upvote 0
I prefer not to have a few hundred contacts on my contact list. Makes finding the right one a titbit difficult. :D
That was my first horrible experience with my first Android. I had over 500 contacts on my phone and it was like WTF. I don't like to sync my fb to my phone since I find half the time, the pictures people put up are annoying and I would rather not have them for their contact picture.

Yeah, I have never lost any of the numerous cell phones I've had over the past 17 years because I'm lucky.
*rubs against shark* Could I have some of that luck matie? :< I had a clean track record for 5 years (my first phone) until I started using smart phones :/ I've lost 2 in less than 2 years :mad:

Reactions: damule6666
Upvote 0
*rubs against shark* Could I have some of that luck matie? :< I had a clean track record for 5 years (my first phone) until I started using smart phones :/ I've lost 2 in less than 2 years :mad:

It's simple for me. My phone is never out of my sight. I keep it on my hip unless I'm at home or charging it.
When I shoot pool, if I'm shooting alone it's on my hip, if my team is there I'll leave it on the table. There are 8 of us, it isn't going anywhere.

Upvote 0
I do, but I've set it to only sync contacts with those that are already existing on the phonebook. More than half of my friends on facebook are on my phonebook anyway since I know them personally and STILL communicate regularly, and another hundred of them that I'll be adding to phonebook the next days (I got like a 100 new classmates in med school, and we'll be classmates for 5 years so.... And I got them added up on facebook before they even got into my phone).

So basically, only my Google contacts are linked to Facebook, while if you're not on my Google account, your Facebook dont show up on my phonebook. However I've noticed that if your Google account has a birthday configured, and you linked someone using the FB app, it creates a double in your calendar marked with a facebook icon beside it. However if you link it to the website, it doesnt (Or did I get that backwards).

Reactions: damule6666
Upvote 0
I don't personally, but I have helped friends sync Facebook contacts because they want the facebook picture to show on Google contacts.

I am disturbed by the lack of knowledge about what exactly Facebook information is synced over to Android.

For example I don't share ANY real information on my Facebook account. I use a spam email that I never check, and use a local McDonald's phone # as my contact #. What if someone should sync my Facebook contact with my real contact info in their Gmail? What is synced and what is shown? Does my fake spam email and fake # show in their phone???

These troubling questions are not very well answered. So personally I do not sync Facebook with Google / Android.

With the advent of Google +, perhaps it will be easier / better to handle this aspect.

Upvote 0
It's simple for me. My phone is never out of my sight. I keep it on my hip unless I'm at home or charging it.
When I shoot pool, if I'm shooting alone it's on my hip, if my team is there I'll leave it on the table. There are 8 of us, it isn't going anywhere.

Completely offtopic: Is that person in the photo really you? I have been wondering about that for a long time now. That's some crazy muscles you got there.

Reactions: pool_shark
Upvote 0
I sync mine because I like having them all match up. Maybe it's the OCD in me. I only sync the friends tho that are already in my phone book, that way I dont have 300 some people in my phone. I also like having every contact have a picture.

My QUESTION is... has anyone had problems with this? For the last few days, all of a sudden my contacts (phonebook & messaging) do not have pictures. I didnt reset, or change anything. But when I go to settings to the sync section, it says that "sync is experiencing problems & will be back shortly".. so is this a droid problem? samsung? uscc?
(my phone is a samsung mesmerize thru uscc & updated to froyo)

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
Do I sync my Facebook friends to my phone book. Absolutely.

Is that a problem? Not if you know how to filter it. Go to the Display Options of your contacts book and set display only those with phone numbers.

If any of my contacts using Facebook decides to change their phone numbers in Facebook, the new phone number is directly synced to my phone book. No problemo, he or she is instantly updated.

Its also cool to read their latest updates in the phone book.

Basically I like the Facebook syncs because it also fills my phone book contacts with their Facebook pictures. If they change their Facebook pics, the change is automatic on my phone too.

What does Facebook get out of it? Be aware, it means they can read your Google and phone contacts too, match them to their database and reveal their Facebook presence to you for your to friend.

And its not just Google they will peep into, but also your Twitter account if you let Twitter for Android sync your Twitter contacts to your phone book.

And Facebook will do this to your Yahoo Mail and Yahoo Messenger contacts if you let Yahoo Mail or Yahoo Messenger sync contacts to your phone too.

But the syncs are a two way street. It also means Twitter can read your Facebook contacts that have been sync'ed to your phone contacts, match to their Twitter profiles, and suggest their Twitter profile for you to follow. Ditto with your Google contacts.

And it appears to me so can others (Yahoo Messenger adding Facebook chats to my phone).

Don't you love the incestuous coupling of social networking?

Better yet, wait until you get Google+. The Google+ Android app will read all your phone contacts, including those Facebook and Twitter sync'ed to your phone. That lets you migrate your Facebook and Twitter friends to Google+ without using a web tool. Google+ will also suggest your Yahoo friends too if Yahoo Messenger is syncing your contacts to your phone.

Neat.

Seriously aside, it all sounds like privacy issues here but then again I already knew what to expect and what to give out.

The advantage of having FAcebook, Twitter, Yahoo, Google and etc,. sync contacts to your phone is that you can link each identity and join them into a single one.

John Smith with his Facebook ID, his Yahoo ID, his Google ID, his Twitter ID, his LinkedIn ID, etc,. in addition to his phone, email and address information.

This massive consolidation, for me is worth it. Someday, the social networking ID might be important than his phone number or email address.

What's neat is that I know what these my contact's Facebook and Twitter profiles even when they don't tell me what they are. It gives me a psychological advantage.

Note: by the way, Google disabled Facebook sync if you are a Nexus S user with an OS dated 2.3.3 and above. Google wasn't happy that Facebook is using the sync to suggest friends using the Google profiles without some reciprocation. They didn't disable Facebook sync on the Nexus One however, and with any other Android Gingerbread phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones