How many of you use a task killer?

Last Updated:

1. mbell75

mbell75 Banned This Topic's Starter

I have seen people saying you need one and others saying you dont. Even Android devs posted a blog a few weeks ago saying you really dont need one. I installed ATK and it showed things running that made no sense to me and way more then what my running processes showed under my settings, how is that possible?

Advertisement
  2. Meltz014

Meltz014 Well-Known Member

No atk here. My phone has been performing perfectly without one

3. grindstoneslave

grindstoneslave Well-Known Member

Never used a Task Killer and all is well.

4. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

No ATK Here. I used one for a month on my Hero and had nothing but problems. If you download Astro File Explorer it has a task killer built in but it doesn't launch on startup. When you open it it shows you everything that is in memory but it also shows you the percentage of CPU it is using.. All of them wil say 0% except for Android System and Astro. That is because all those apps are suspended just sitting and waiting to be used. Android manages the memory of those apps... If memory gets too low it pulls a few from the memory. But hey to each there own right?

5. huss30

huss30 Member

When I first got my Hero at launch I immediately installed a ATK and had nothing but force closes. I had no idea this had anything to do with the task killer and I just thought "thats how android is" and switched back to my Pre 3 months later. I have had the EVO since launch without a task killer and have only had HTC Sense force close once and again I'm assuming it is because I have no tk. Also I haven't ever noticed my phone slow down from backgrounded apps at all.

6. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

None here. The OS keeps around 40MB free for me even with tons of apps.

7. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Well-Known Member

Only system tools here. No auto kill here.

8. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member

i do have ATK, but i have it set to not kill anything. the only reason to use an ATK on an android phone is when an app is screwing up and you need to kill THAT PARTICULAR APP, which is useful. Theres no other reason to have a task killer other than that.

9. NicksGarage

NicksGarage Well-Known Member

None here.

10. blake247

blake247 Well-Known Member

11. newone757

newone757 Well-Known Member

used to run ATK on stock, auto killing apps on screen off. worked well for me

but since switching to Bugless Beast Rom ive been fine without it, he tweaked the built in autokiller

12. jellyjamz

jellyjamz Member

I use a task killer but I don't run auto-kill. I pick and choose which apps to kill at which times. My battery lasts about a day and a half but I only use about 3 to 4 hours of internet a day including youtube, and that's using 3G since my area doesn't have 4G. I haven't tried not using the task killer but I'm really happy that my phone lasts about a day and a half and I doubt I will try to go without a task killer any time soon.

13. Fireace22

Fireace22 Active Member

No task killer, but I do use SystemPanel... It is nice to be able to end tasks to preserve some battery life. Closing my browser or Live Scores app only to have it run it the background can be pointless at times.

14. bwillie007

bwillie007 Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with using a task killer as long as u don't leave it on indefinitely. The one I have kills everything necessary along w itself when I'm done

15. Shenaniganz

Shenaniganz Member

16. mystik121

mystik121 New Member

Running Evo without Task Killer and running 10+ hours since being charged with 80% battery left to go. Woot!!

17. mbell75

Yea, I just downloaded this too. Seems pretty nice so far.

18. kronium

kronium Well-Known Member

When I'm about to launch a big app that needs to run smoothly, I Kill everything with ATK, and it runs like butter. Sometimes android is too slow killing off apps on its own, lagging for awhile in the process. No auto-kill be being used though. Unnecessary in most situations.

19. mbell75

Only had System Panel installed and running for 20 minutes and my phone restarted itself already. Uninstalled.

20. crakkajakka15

crakkajakka15 Member

I had ATK for the first few days I had my EVO and my battery life sucked. Uninstalled ATK now my battery lasts all day long

21. alxnet

alxnet New Member

Did nothing but cause problems on my Moto Droid. Been running the Evo just fine without a task killer. Oh and no task killer and my wifi off, I routinely get a day and a quarter of runtime between charges. Absolutely no problems with battery life here.

22. swatpup102

swatpup102 Well-Known Member

Firs thing I did on the EVO was get a task killer because I was told it wouldn't shut down apps. For the first few days, i was constantly shutting down apps to free up memory in my windows mindset, and eventually it started running so bad it crashed the Sense UI. I did a factory restore and dropped the task killer all together, and it's been perfect since.

23. vailmc

vailmc Member

24. SeauxCrazy

SeauxCrazy Well-Known Member

You might want to see what else you have installed or what processes you killed off with System Panel. I've had it running on my phone since I've gotten it and have NEVER had a random re-start.

25. Mattd75

Mattd75 Member

I have ATK, but only run it when needed. i don't allow it to run in the background. Works great this way.