How many people actually use the kickstand?General

Last Updated:

1. geeadams

geeadams Member

I thought the kickstand is cool, and it's one of the parts of EVO 4G LTE to make me get one. But, how many people actually utilize this kickstand? I haven't found it too essential. :D I just wonder what way people utilize it so I can use it that way, too! :)

Advertisement
  2. omiller315

omiller315 Well-Known Member

I used it to watch golf last weekend with the US Open app. Worked pretty well. Kinda like having 8GB of ram on your PC.You might not need it all the time, but nice to have when you do need it :)
    ZepTepi, Rxpert83 and EarlyMon like this.
  3. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

Original Evo has a kickstand. I used it all the time; even when just holding the phone sideways in my hand. The kickstand acted as more of a brace to keep me from dropping the phone.

Loved it when watching movies or using my BT keyboard. You don't know how much you appreciate it until you no longer have one.
  4. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

I used it like this more than anything, but I did use it sometimes as intended.
    Rxpert83 and EarlyMon like this.
  5. ironbrewer

ironbrewer Well-Known Member

I use the kickstand all the time.
    Rxpert83, EarlyMon and marctronixx like this.
  6. kbp08tls

kbp08tls Well-Known Member

I thought it was going to be a gimmick, but I actually use it a lot. In landscape on a table to watch video, portrait mode for general use when I can't use both hands on the phone, like when I'm eating.
    Rxpert83, EarlyMon and marctronixx like this.
  7. strider70

strider70 Well-Known Member

Use it more often than I expected.
    - Video chatting
    - Movies
    - youtube
    - Web browsing

Missed my Synergy ROM on Evo 4G that allowed landscape on home screen
  8. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}

Just knowing it's there is all the fun. &#9756;

Actually, it does come in handy... Especially when you need it. &#8598;(^&#9661;^)&#8599;
    EarlyMon likes this.
  9. geeadams

geeadams Member

Okay.. Then I should get a case with opening for the kickstand. :D
  10. takirb

takirb Well-Known Member

I don't use it nearly as much as I did on the original EVO. Anytime I used it before, I was always plugged up with the USB. Placement for the side charging port on this LTEvo in conjunction with the kickstand was a design "blunder" IMO. I know it can be used propped the other way, but its angled too far for my comfort. Just my $.02...
    dr g, CriticalCritic and EarlyMon like this.
  11. some.devil

some.devil Well-Known Member

I found it really useful when I'm cooking. I can prop the phone up and scroll through recipes.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  12. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

I definitely use it any time I am sitting at a desk. It's better than putting it on its face or back. And I still use it at night for an alarm clock, but as stated earlier I have to place it upside down which is less-than optimal. :(

I used the kickstand on the OG ALL THE TIME while in my hand, between my fingers, for extra support. However the placement on this phone isn't as optimal for that particular purpose, so I don't use it as much.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  13. Chief YYZ

Chief YYZ Well-Known Member

I do use it, usually at least a couple times a day. Makes it easier to let a second person view the screen when a counter or table is handy.

My favorite part is my case has a slot for it (platinum case by seido from BBY) and I use that all the time to hold the phone. My middle fingre kinda rests in there while I can switch the rest of my hand around the case as needed. I swear it's kept me from dropping the phone multiple times.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  14. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

While it's not an essential feature, not having it on the Evo 3D made me realize that there are situations here and there where I enjoyed having it.

Now that I have it back on the LTEvo, I'm more aware of the times I do use it, and I'm more appreciative of it.
  15. dr g

dr g Well-Known Member

I agree with this, the charge port location is just uberfail in every way.
    CriticalCritic likes this.
  16. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Well-Known Member

I agree about the bad angle on the kickstand while charging, but it works great for watching netflix in bed laying on my side.

I also use my kickstand to read my blogs on google reader in the mornings over my breakfast (I've upgraded from reading cereal boxes)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  17. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

You don't miss the kickstand until you don't have it. I didn't realize how often I used it on my OG until I got my 3vo. Now I realize I use it all the time on my LTEvo.
    CriticalCritic and EarlyMon like this.
  18. falconey

falconey Well-Known Member

There is a pretty stock ROM on xda that allows landscape in home. I don't understand why HTC didn't just allow it.

Anywho one added benefit of using the kickstand is better sound output. Having the phone in speaker mode and using the kickstand equals golden. Or listening to tunes in the shower and having the phone angled on the counter with the kickstand equals I can here my tunes clearly.I also use it when I play zynga poker, watch tv with my sling player app, and many more reasons.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  19. Y2Dre

Y2Dre Active Member

I use my kickstand damn near daily. It's a must for movie watching during my lunch breaks at work. I had an EVO Design 4G for a while between my OG EVO and the LTEvo and I hated not having a kickstand.

Like someone said earlier...you don't realize how handy it is until you no longer have it. If you never used it on the OG, then you probably don't understand...
  20. Ramzes13

Ramzes13 Well-Known Member

I use it when I play Parallel Kingdom on lunch
  21. jackgibbs

jackgibbs Well-Known Member

the kickstand is literally the only reason I went with the ltevo over the nexus or holding out for the S3. My OG spends my entire work day sitting on its kickstand streaming audio. How this is not a staple of every phone and tablet boggles the mind.

and yes, I know there are cases you can buy for the other phones, but I don't need a case, I've only dropped the evo once in two years, and I hate adding huge bulky cases to these slim, excellently designed phones.
  22. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

I do not have the 4G LTE yet, but I use the kickstand all the time. I don't want to scratch the camera lense or back of the device so I use the kick stand. It's a taken-for-granted convenience.

When I purchase the 4G LTE, I will continue to use it.
  23. Fubie

Fubie Well-Known Member

I use mine practically every day. I use the phone as an alarm clock and want it fully charged in the morning.
  24. drexappeal

drexappeal Well-Known Member

Kickstand is part of the reason I went with the Photon instead of the 3Vo. I can't even count the amount of times I've pulled up a video being discussed at a get together or restaurant and multiple people didn't have to crowd around me to watch it. I just pulled the kickstand out and put the phone on the table for everyone to watch.

What's been awesome about the MoPho is that the secondary speaker is behind the kickstand, so whenever I have the phone placed on a table, the sound reflects off the table and seems louder than when just holding the phone. Hopefully, it's a similar experience on the LTEvo.
  25. 3vodroid

3vodroid Well-Known Member

I use the kickstand whenever I can... Definetly everyday its now part of my routine... I'd be lost without it!! haha