How many people have problems with their non-root eris's?General

Last Updated:

1. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

In our alltel contract, all my family lines get unlimited data for $40 a month. My parents are looking to upgrade their regular phones (for free) and I was going to recommend the eris (from amazon) to them. I have heard some talk of not having very good signal and mention of some bugs and want to know how much truth there is behind these (especially signal) or if they were lemons, etc.

if it matters all my parents would do is call/text (obviously), email sync, and maybe browse the web every once in a while. Bugs with, say facebook, wouldn't matter. Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

I think my parents (70 and 65 years old, respectively) both have the LG Dare currently, and it seems to be plenty for them. They were somewhat enthused when my wife and I showed them the Eris, but I'm also not sure they want or need so much at this point. Depends on what you really expect them to do/use if they have the options.

3. Flaring Afro

My parents are 50 and said they would like the features. They actually aren't too bad with new technology. My dad especially.

A lot of my friends' parents can't even figure out texting though hehe.

4. Romparoo

Romparoo Well-Known Member

I just upgraded from the Alltel Touch to the Eris. I loved my Touch and love my Eris even more!

Since they know how to use a phone for more than just calling, I think they will not have a problem with the Eris and will be blown away by it's capabilities. As for bugs and problems, those only come if you upgrade the leaked 2.1 update...except YouTube app wont work on the stock Eris, they will have to use the browser for that.

Flaring Afro likes this.
  5. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

I still nearly do a double-take when I get texts from my parents, but my dad's also very interested in, and good with, technology. Since it's been my own intro, I'm all about the Eris as a great first smartphone. I'd only be reluctant to push the Eris on my folks now because of its being superseded by new stuff they could probably afford more easily than I could. So price versus capability then. The new Droid family member seems up to its name, and I'd be there if it was my time to upgrade. I *would* heartily recommend HTC hardware and the Sense UI.

Alas, you'll have to wait a bit longer for more real-world reports on the Incredible. Eris-wise, it's not been as trouble-free as my Env2 in some respects, but I tend not to care due to what else it can do. There is dialer lag, and it isn't top of the line hardware, but it works for me and I don't anticipate being disappointed in the next short-term, having some modicum of patience with my computing doohickies.

Flaring Afro likes this.
  6. Flaring Afro

I currently have the alltel touch. Is an awesome phone of it's time. My parents don't even go on youtube lol.

7. jlrosell

jlrosell Well-Known Member

I have no problems at all. The only thing is they will have to figure out how to configure their settings to conserve battery life.
    Heavy users may need a charge right in the middle of the day. Myself on the other hand, I can make it last 2 days.

8. Nabraham

Nabraham Well-Known Member

Phone works fantastic. Sure, i have some complaints with the phone but it's nothing your parents would encounter.

Like someone else said, the battery is the worst part of the phone but even when i use it heavily all day i just charge it when i go to bed and it's fine. Someone who just uses it for occasional texting or browsing could easily get a day or two out of a charge.

9. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Eris really is a good little phone, mine even seems to outperform my berry in low signal areas, even though the "bars" seem a little wonky (even on 1.5), call quality is good and talk time is actually ok seems browsing and stuff crush the stock battery though. Most of my issues were after leak install but I do believe I had a few on the original but mostly related to apps you said they wont be using so....

Honestly though, and I love my phone....if the primary usage was going to be what you mentioned in the original post you might want to consider a blackberry. If all I did on this phone was talk/txt/email BB with 5.0 is better imo. I'll probably get flamed for saying that but I think its worth a look for what you described they will be doing with the phone.

oh yeah off topic a little: hello fellow smartchoicer ;)

10. Papadroid

Papadroid VIP Member VIP Member

If they are looking for a good cheap smartphone then the Eris definitely fits the bill. My wife who is definitely not Tech Savy used to pick up my Blackberry and would say how complicated it was. But when she picks up my Eris she loves it. The sense UI definitely helps over stock Android for those that are not Tech Savy.

11. Papadroid

He did mention some web surfing and although I have not used 5.0 on a BB I hated (HATED!!!) surfing the web on my BB. Other than that I would agree with you. I love surfing the web on my Eris, it was so painful on the BB that I just stopped surfing on it.:D

12. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

See my wife thought the BB was way easier to learn than the Eris, and my mom who is in her 60's doesnt even want to look at the Eris, but has no problem with the Storm we gave her!
    The stock browser on 5.0 still sucks, no doubt but opera mini 5 is available which is about the same as using opera on the eris, Bolt is also out there and very very good. not quite as good as the stock eris browser, BUT close.

Thats why I say worth a look, some folks will take to one or the other. I wouldn't steer them away from the Eris, its a great phone for the money! But there are some cheap BB's out there too. I would stay clear of the pearl flip though as its stuck on 4.6 (sound familiar eris users ;) ) not a bad phone for 9.99 but the new os is worth another 10-30 bucks if you txt at all.

13. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

Weird double post sorry...

14. Papadroid

All good points and my intention is to not steer anybody away from a BB but I also think that it depends on how you're going to use the device, hence the web surfing comment. Obviously the best advice is to take them to the store so that they can feel and play with the phones based upon the features they are looking for.