How many random reboots or FCs would you say makes a custom ROM unstable?

How many Force closes or reboots does it take to deem a Custom ROM unstable?

1. 1 reboot or force close per week.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. 1 reboot or force close every other day.

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  3. 1 per day is too many.

12 vote(s)
    52.2%
  4. I apply a zero tolerance policy.

6 vote(s)
    26.1%

Last Updated:

1. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My definition of a custom ROM being unstable would be an app force closing or the phone has random reboots several times during a day when it has been stable on other ROM builds. When that happens, I nandroid back to a previous ROM or load a new ROM into my phone. So besides the obvious, how many reboots or FCs do you need to be convinced that a custom ROM is unstable. I also know that it some cases it is not due to the ROM itself that causes force closes or reboots such as the kernal being used or a unstable app. However, most of us who have been flashing ROMS for a while have a expectation on how a custom ROM should behave. So with that in mind, let me open up my first polling thread. YAY! :D

Advertisement
  2. harrisonkk

harrisonkk Member

None at all.

In my opinion a ROM should never, under any circumstances, reboot itself for no reason, and I think that with SetCPU it should be near-impossible for anything to FC.

3. xmr405o

So zero tolerance. I have Chevy's 2.1 ERE25 ROM running on my phone and I experienced one reboot a couple of days ago but I wouldn't say the ROM is unstable.

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I think lumping these two things together is a bad idea. I would tolerate some fcs within reason but if I am getting random reboots that rom isn't lasting long.

UBRocked likes this.
  5. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

I am not one for reboots.. Those should not really ever happen. But a force close is fine every once in a while. I mean I got them on stock lol. So I don't mind one every so often. I'm currently on SS V1.0.3 and I haven't had any FC or reboots yet. Doubt I'll get a reboot, but FC could be likely.

All in all, one FC every so often is okay with me I guess till they fix it.. :rolleyes:

6. andrew53517

andrew53517 Well-Known Member

+1 on that response.

7. xmr405o

Maybe you're right. I should have not lumped these issues together. But in my experience, fcs lead to my phone rebooting. Like with the SS ROM, I received a message that Amazon MP3 stopped responding and it going to force close. After that, my phone rebooted. It was weird but I didn't think the ROM was unstable.

8. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

a random force close here and there is ok, but if the phone starts locking up then that's no good.

my current setup is running pretty much perfect.

9. squaresailor

squaresailor Active Member

No reboots. I've not had one forced or random reboot or a FC since flashing DroidMod 1.0 a couple of weeks ago. If I had reboots I'd go back to stock. Reboots, for me, would negate the benefits of rooting.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. emdmao

emdmao Well-Known Member

I wouldn't tolerate any random reboots, but I agree a few FC's are ok. They would happen on stock anyway as well. I notice the 2.1 news widget FC's occasionally (DroidMod). Not really a big deal, if I hit FC or wait it never affects the widget (dont have to reload it). Not sure what the issue is.

11. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

Depends, because I don't weigh reboots and FC's the same way. I would consider any random reboot unstable, but a force close or two does not necessarily mean the same thing, since those can still be caused by faulty applications that are no fault of the ROM or kernel.

12. headbanger51

headbanger51 Well-Known Member

Bingo...I can tolerate a several FCs a day...I'd say three at max. But any more than one freeze/battery pull/auto-reboot a week is a no-go for me.
    I've been running SGv5.0.1 (with the stock kernel that came with it) OC'd to 800Mhz and Launcher2 and every time I undock my phone from the docking center, Launcher2 FCs. I'm actually OK with that because it's no big deal...takes a few seconds for my screen to repopulate and then I'm generally good until the next morning when I undock my phone. But when I had it OC'd to 900+ and had a live wallpaper, it Launcher2 was FCing almost hourly and getting a freeze up requiring a battery pull or would auto-reboot several times daily. That was intolerable.
    I'm very happy with the setup now that I've discovered the kinks, but I will flash to a new ROM (the blackdroid's latest) this weekend.