How many screen protectors did you waste while installing it by yourself ?Tips

Last Updated:

1. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Personally I made the perfect one at the third attempts, wasting two of them in the process.

Anyone made a perfect screen protector installation at the first time without doing it before ?

Advertisement
  2. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

My Nexus 7 doesn't have a screen protector. But it does have a case with a screen cover so its pretty much immaculate still. I didn't apply the one on my Galaxy Nexus (its the same one Verizon applied in March). And I put a wet one on my Droid Eris way back in summer 2010 (got it the first time too) and lasted till I got my GNexus. Albeit, it had a really gross "orange" color when I took it off. Ugh.
  3. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

I were too reluctant to put a screen protector on the N7, but after a couple of days some very fine swirlies appeared on the screen. After close inspection, I found that games like Temple Run is the "killer" because you need to wipe left, right, up down... to play that game, the glass would become warm due to friction, and if the screen or your fingers have dust particles the glass might be scratched over the time.
  4. balloonshark

balloonshark Well-Known Member

5. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

On the 1st video the guy removes the 2nd layer too quick, I only remove the 2nd layer after all the air bubbles are gone (I wipe them out with a plastic credit card), if you apply the credit card directly on the screen protector you may make a coupe of scratches as well (I experienced it during the first attempt).
  6. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

It took 2 attempts on the Nexus 7 and it's not perfect, but I have a case which covers the bezel so you can't see the massive bubble along the top. My TF101 I did first time.

I seem to be better at larger screens because I always need 3/4 attempts on my phone.

I generally do it in the bathroom too to minimise dust etc.
  7. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

Anyway I learned something new with the videos above, I will use the tape trick the next time when I change the screen protector on my N7, it's a brillant idea to align the protector the the N7's edges. The screen protectors I ordered from an online seller have pretty good quality, they are cut to perfectly match the N7 screen, if you drift by only 1/20 mm the other side won't fit the edges.
  8. El Presidente

Just watched the first vid, I'll give that a go when I put another protector on my phone tomorrow.
  9. strollin

strollin Well-Known Member

I've attempted to install screen protectors on other devices with mixed results in the past. Always seem to end up with a dust particle or a bubble or two.

On my N7, I took it took the local mall where there's a kiosk that sells Ghost Armor screen protectors. Cost me $20 for purchase and install. It has a lifetime warranty so I can get it replaced anytime. I can install it myself for free, or pay them $5 to install it. They get it installed right or I can have them redo it within 30 days.

Costs a little more but well worth it to me. I also have Ghost Armor on my Droid Razr phone.
  10. Groid

Groid Well-Known Member

I've ruined zero screen protectors because I've never installed one on any phone or tablet I've ever owned. I've also never had a scratch on any screen. Most devices I see with screen protectors appear discolored and scratched.
  11. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

Yes, I have to agree. I haven't used screen protectors since my old Palm T2. I've had a TX, a Nokia 5800 and have a 3 year old Nexus One that doesn't even have a case (it *is* carried in a belt case, but I use it caseless). I have never scratched a screen and I find screen protectors significantly diminish the quality of the screen.

That's just me. ;)
  12. strollin

strollin Well-Known Member

Screen protectors don't seem to diminish the quality of the screen for me. Regardless, I get a warm fuzzy feeling by having a screen protector! ;)

I don't use cases on my devices because no matter how well designed the case is, it always seems to get in the way of something.
  13. El Presidente

Yep, even the cheap ones I've used don't really have an impact on the screen quality.

I'd much rather have a protector and not need one than the opposite.
  14. saptech

saptech Well-Known Member

I haven't tried putting one on the tablet and ruined 3 trying to put it on the phone. I gave up and don't use any now.
  15. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

From what I saw the N7 screen is not as scratch resistant as we used to believe.

I paid $300 for my N7 so I think a $1.5 screen protector is a really cheap investment.
  16. chaos_efphect

chaos_efphect Member

after about 4 failed attempts i just use the build in screen protector that comes with the gumdrop case.
  17. Italo

Italo Well-Known Member

I tried installing the screen protector that came with my case. I couldn't manage to get the air bubbles out, then tried a wet install with screen cleaner. The wet install worked fairly well but the screen protector was scratched up from before, and had a rubbery feel. So I decided not to use it. The case covers the screen anyway.

I've never used one on my phone, the last one I installed was on my PSP.
  18. Internaut

Internaut Well-Known Member

I don't bother with screen protectors on a gorilla glass screen. The iPhone 3GS and the iPad 2 are as good as the day I bought them. A few blasts of warm breath on the screen combined with the kind of wipe that comes with a pair of glasses and they come up good as new.
  19. lvt

lvt Well-Known Member

The problem is that the N7's glass is not Gorilla.
  20. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

i bought one messed it up while putting it on and now my n7 is without a screen protector :( o well i guess. i hate that gorilla glass is not standard for all devices
  21. Internaut

It is still glass though. Unless I take a bit diamond or tungsten to to my screen, it will be fine.
  22. El Presidente

Sand does it too apparently. That will even scratch gorilla glass by all accounts.
  23. Internaut

Ah, well, even in the hottest, sandiest, beachiest places on Earth, I'm the one walking along the promenade (really can't stand sand).
  24. h4x0rj3ff

h4x0rj3ff Chemist

sand will scratch ANYTHING on earth including diamond, tungsten, etc... you name it sand will scratch it. take it from me a machinist. this is how we dress our diamond grinding wheels is with a stone (a very hard stone) sand is the most abrasive thing on earth. i specifically bought a carbide wedding ring hoping it would hold up to my work environment and it is scratch worse than you could believe. my warranty specifically points out that it is "scratch proof" so i can get a new one (they cant or wont polish it) for free but i dont want to go that long without it :)
    El Presidente likes this.
  25. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Note to self, don't take Nexus 7 to beach. Note to self 2, I live in South Dakota, I don't need to worry about it.