How many use the folders to organize apps?Support

Last Updated:

1. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

this thread got me playing with folders. I don't know why, but I never bothered to look into folders before. Now that I know its capabilities, I may be able to do away with 3rd party home replacements and apps and just use folders to organize my shortcuts...

Anyone else do this?

Advertisement
  2. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

I've started using them within the context of DxTop... what I like about that is once you assign a category to an app (long click on the app in the drawer) you can make a smart folder on the desktop (or in DxTop's quick-app tray) that always displays all apps in that category. Simply wonderful functionality, I'd say.

One of the things I've been struggling with though is appropriate categories to classify my apps into. What have you called the folders you're using? I have:

Games
    System Utils. - stuff that affects how the phone works, settings, locale
    Tools & Nav - bubble, compasses, metal detector, layar, google sky
    Communication - email and text, as well as task list stuff
    News & Entertainment - RSS stuff and youtube
    Crap - soundboards, lightsaber apps, other random crap

I'm having a hard time with a few things trying to categorize them... would be curious to see what other people are using for their categories/folders/labels?

3. AndroidSPCS

I've got Toys (google toys), Google Apps (voice, talk, mail, etc), File Managers, utilities, links (urls), calculators (tip calc, various calculators), and Media (Youtube, MotherTED, etc).

I only have about 64 total apps, so not that many apps yet.

4. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

I have 3 screen and two folders laid out as:
    1st screen= Shopping/Office apps (ie Shopsavvy, Pkt Auction, Android market, Scan2PDF, etc) and a folder of 'tools' including compass, spare parts, Locale, countdown timer, Gmote, etc.
    2nd screen (completely filled main home screen)= All communication stuff. Large Hero clock/weather widget at the top, dialer, browser, calendar, SMS, Sprint Nav, etc.
    3rd screen= multimedia apps (ie Flixster, youtube, musicplayer, radio player, sprint TV, etc) and a folder filled with games.

5. momentoid

momentoid Well-Known Member

1st: CalWidget, Calendar, Contacts, K-9, GTalk, GVoice, Voicemail, Handcent SMS.
    2nd (Home): Wx, DigitalClock widgets; Browser, SpareParts, WorldTime, QuickSettings, Market, GPS Status, Calculator, Dialer, GMaps, VoiceControl
    3rd: shortcut to news websites, Astro, Shazam; Taskiller, folders for Games, HandyApps, websites (pre-installed sites)
    ---------
    How do you maintain newline formats on this forum site??? I've to go and add everytime I post.

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

I use panda home with the docks. 6 Docks can hold alot of stuff, and its quicker than going screen to screen. I only have widgets on my screens now.

7. AndroidSPCS

How do you get 6 docks? I have two docks, one on each side, by the bottom. Often I try to play with the dock settings, Panda Home force closes. Not sure how to get the extra docks.

8. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

I use folders as well. Simply use Games, Tools, Apps. Helps alot having only three screens

9. hambonewc

hambonewc Well-Known Member

I use Apps Organizer which I dowloaded from market. Absolutely love this app. Have not used folders however so I can't give a comparison

10. ColdStart

ColdStart Well-Known Member

This may sound like a strange question, but how do you remove an app from the folder that I created?

11. hambonewc

hambonewc Well-Known Member

Just long press the icon then drag icon to the trash can at the bottom of the scrren. its no different than if the shortcut was on your home screen

12. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Well-Known Member

I use folders! I just downloaded Launcher Pro, so I got to delete some of my folders.

I did have
    Shopping - Paypal, Ebay, Craigslist, etc.
    Technical - Lookout, Astro, etc.
    App Stuff - Market, App Brain, App Sharing, App Advocate etc.

With Launcher Pro, I get more screens and 3 docks, so now I just have one for App stuff.