• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How many water damage indicators on the GS5?

2jzgte

Lurker
Jul 31, 2015
Hi all.

My indicator on the battery is pink, but the indicator on the phone itself (the square in the battery compartment) is white. The screen is messed up (touch screen still works, but colors are off, so it's unusable). Phone has been in rice for 4 days now, but I guess the damage is irreversible.

I have another S5 laying around that's never seen water, so I was thinking about just switching batteries and sending the damaged phone in for repair (still under warranty).

I don't wanna be sermonized on whether I'm being dishonest or not, because I find it quite dishonest that Samsung would advertise this : "Water-resistant and dustproof based on IP67 rating, which tests submersion up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes." yet refuse to cover water damage under warranty (according to what I've read on different forums). I'm just trying to dodge a bullet here.

My question is the following : I heard there are other water damage indicators inside the frame... is that true?

Thanks.

No sermon here.
If you can get access to a vacuum pump, place the phone and battery all opened up, inside a container that will hold vacuum for several hours.

Pump it down to -26 inches of Mercury and that will give you the best possible chance of removing all moisture from inside the phone. Will it restore the phone to working order? dunno, depends on if some circuits got shorted out that should not have.

this vacuum process will also restore the moisture indicators back to what they were when new ;),
usually...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones