• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much better is HTC Legend's 600Mhz processor compared to Hero's 528MHz?

dvdqnoc

Android Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2009
So I've been looking at some videos on YouTube of the new HTC Desire and Legends. I've been paying attention mostly to the Legend, because it was more similiar specs to the Hero than the Desire does.

I've noticed that the new Sense seems to run very smoothly on the Legend with its 600MHz processor. Now, we all know that the Hero can be quite laggy at times, and we all want some performance increase from the update. But how much better really is the 600MHz processor than the Hero's 529MHz? Are the videos of the Legend a good portrayal of how Sense will perform on our Hero's?

Well from the videos, it seems that the New Sense runs pretty well on the Legend, but there are still nevertheless some bits of lag here and there. Obviously, since it doesnt have the massive Snapdragon processor of the Desire.

But what does that mean for the Hero? Does it mean that we will most probably see considerable lag with the new Sense (even if it is less than with the current rom)?

Upvote 0
Well from the videos, it seems that the New Sense runs pretty well on the Legend, but there are still nevertheless some bits of lag here and there. Obviously, since it doesnt have the massive Snapdragon processor of the Desire.

But what does that mean for the Hero? Does it mean that we will most probably see considerable lag with the new Sense (even if it is less than with the current rom)?

Here is the new Sense and 2.1 running on the Eris which has the same processor the Hero does. Looks just fine to me :)

http://v6.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2eb5teh&s=6

Upvote 0
Does it mean that we will most probably see considerable lag with the new Sense (even if it is less than with the current rom)?

All speculative and we should all reserve judgement until the release of 2.1 which is closer by the day.

lol, that said, it will perform at approximately 11% higher function... hahaha... Now, that Snapdragon processor make me drool, lmao. ;)

Remember, this OS is ported over from the GSM version and the new 2.1 is written for the CMDA which SHOULD make everything work better. I'm sure MOST of us will be happy with the upgrade, but you never know, some will still want more. It's all good!

:cool:

Upvote 0
When comparing processors, one looks at:

1. Speed: 500/528 = 1.14 (14% better)

2. Bits per operation = likely the same

3. Command set. Does one processor have higher-level or application-specific commands that allow more efficient processing? Don't know. Probably similar instruction sets.

It could also be hard to judge since the hero can be overclocked to run at 660mhz. I am running the 2.1 ROM on my hero and everything is pretty snappy even though the ROM is not 100%. Multitouch on the home screen is very smooth and I have no issues with lag in opening apps or texting. Might be a difference but its not big enough to notice.

Upvote 0
It could also be hard to judge since the hero can be overclocked to run at 660mhz. I am running the 2.1 ROM on my hero and everything is pretty snappy even though the ROM is not 100%. Multitouch on the home screen is very smooth and I have no issues with lag in opening apps or texting. Might be a difference but its not big enough to notice.

You have the new 2.1 Sense on your Hero? How did you get it? How is the pinch-to-zoom on the browser compared to the original Sense browser?

Upvote 0
Gumbos kernel just changes the way the system allocates memory. He suggests using setcpu for battery life, but I don't think the ability to overclock has been incorporated into anything yet.
from post #1:

Perhaps overclocking might not be the most technical term to use, but using the kernel has dramatically increased the speed. Its well documented in the thread of the speed increase by most of those who are using it. I can't speak on why its faster be it cpu speed increase or allocation of memory, but my phone has zero lag and transitions from landscape mode to regular are almost instant, which is completely different from how it was prior to the kernel. Go figure.

Upvote 0
You have the new 2.1 Sense on your Hero? How did you get it? How is the pinch-to-zoom on the browser compared to the original Sense browser?

Go check out xda forums. If you are rooted there are plenty of options over there for you to get different ROMs. There is a 2.1 w/sense and a 2.1 AOSP that you can play with.

As far as picnch to zoom, it was in the stock software so I can't tell much of a difference in that, but you also have pinch to zoom on the home page which is cool. Only thing the 2.1 w/Sense doesn't have the optimized kernel hack in it, so mine seems to be slower than my Modaco ROM plus no APPs2SD on 2.1 and it kills my battery alot faster, but its still beta so they will be tinkering it more until its perfect.

Upvote 0
Well, 71 mhz isn't a whole lot, but if you only take Mhz into consideration, then you frankly don't really know what you're talking about.

Which CPU core there is in the chip and which instructionset the core uses (ARM 6 or ARM7) makes a much bigger difference.

Regarding the Legend and the Hero, there are alot of pretty big differences. First of all, the Legend "CPU" (It's not really a cpu, but a collection of several different chips that together make the phone work) is manufactured under a different process, that make the chips smaller and more power efficient.

Also, the MSM7227 that the Legend has is specifically built for Smartphones, unlike the MSM7200... BESIDES the 600mhz CPU it also contains a floating point unit, a 400 MHz modem processor, 320 MHz application DSP, hardware-accelerated 3D graphics, integrated Bluetooth 2.1 and GPS capabilities, an 8-megapixel camera and 30 fps WVGA video encode / decode and display support are also included.

So it's a completely different beast, WAY more powerful than the MSM7200 that Hero had.

In everyday use, I've found the Legend to be just as snappy, sometimes even faster than the HTC Desire with its 1 Ghz Snapdragon chip.

(WHAT?!? How is this possible?!?)

Well, the resolution on the Legend is (while by no means bad) quite a bit smaller than the 800 pixel display that the Desire has. That's a lot fewer pixels that the processor has to keep updating all the time...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones