How much data are we actually allowed to use?

1. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Well-Known Member

If your on boost Mobile, you know they advertise unlimited data. If you read the fine print, you have 2.5 GB of high speed data, then they will slow you down. However, they do not cut you off, meaning you can still use data. My question is, how much data? Can you use something like 10 GB. 25 GB? 50-100 GB? What's the "catch" before they say to you. Hey, SF!!! Stop it!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Slickyy

Slickyy Well-Known Member

After 2.5GB you are throttled. After that you can use a terabyte within your 30 days and not be turned off. I have come across guys with Boost who root/tether their phone and torrent with it.
  3. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Once they throttle you, 30 days of continuous use wouldn't amount to more than 1 or 2GB. When they say "throttle", they don't mean "slow you down a little", they mean "dial-up was MUCH faster". Your connection would probably time out with most download attempts. You'll be able to read your email, send email and visit some websites. Texting is voice, so data throttling doesn't affect it.)
    Kahroo likes this.
  4. N3vermore

N3vermore Member

I'm not sure how slow it gets, there's not official statement behind the speeds while throttled. Regardless though 2.5GB is a lot of data to use.
  5. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid. Guide

From Boost:
    So the maximum speed you'll get is 256Kbps when being throttled. I've heard the speeds can vary greatly though, with some people getting as low as 10Kbps.
  6. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

When I get throttled I get anywhere from 15 to 350 Kbps, it depends on the time of day and where I am at..
  7. akmsr

akmsr Well-Known Member

before i left boost in the last month i used around 20 GB + . they throttle you 2.5 GB at the dot. MLSS is correct assessing the speed.
    most of the time it depends on your uses how much data you are going to use. if you tether obviously it is going to be high. also it depends on the phone. if you have a feature rich phone its easier to use more data.
  8. Slickyy

Slickyy Well-Known Member

I just asked a friend of mine at Sprint, he said the max is supposed to be 512k when you're throttled, but most people see only half of that, or less.
  9. Kg198202

Kg198202 Well-Known Member

Dumb ?.if you are using 4g speeds before you're throttled, will you then be throttled to 3g speeds or dial up?
  10. I'm on T-Mobile UK.
    I use Tethering and Wi-Fi HotSpot all the time. In an average month I use around 100 Gigabytes of data and they never slow me down. My 3G signal is faster than my Wi-Fi and 4G has just arrived in my area. Cannot wait till my new 4G phone arrives, my Internet will be even faster. T-Mobile are awesome!
  11. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

Thanks but we are talking about Boost Mobile
    apnsb likes this.
  12. Sorry if my last post was a bit off topic, but I was just pointing out that some networks offer a better service than others. Of all the major networks in the UK, T-Mobile is by far the best in my opinion.

I've never heard of Boost Mobile, are they based in the USA?
  13. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter! Moderator

USA (where they are a Sprint MVNO) and Australia (where it appears they operate on Telstra (according to their website))
  14. akmsr

akmsr Well-Known Member

its slower than 3G but faster than dialup.
    palmtree5 likes this.
  15. sfbloodbrother

Currently on the Moto G, with a 3 G connection. Is there an app that I can use to see how fast my connection is? Then, when I hit that 2.5 GB mark, I'll measure it again.
  16. kate

kate Dreaming of Bugdroid. Guide

Speedtest.net is a popular app.
    palmtree5 likes this.
  17. palmtree5

18. Mikessv

Mikessv Well-Known Member

They throttle you down to 1g, I had Boost for over a year and got throttled when I didn't use my 2.5 gigs every month at my house
  19. Mikessv

I was getting something like 50k all the time.
  20. palmtree5

You sure that wasn't bad signal, perhaps?
  21. Mikessv

I had full coverage bars, my calls and texts and everything were great but I just had really slow 3g
  22. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

Sounds like bad signal to me.
  23. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

There are areas where I live that I get full bars and great sound quality but awful data speeds.
    Voice quality and Data don't go hand and hand.
  24. sfbloodbrother

Sometimes it depends on where I am in my house. If I'm in my room. The basement. I can get like 10 KB/s. I have only used 300 mb this month. What's up?
  25. MLSS

MLSS Well-Known Member

You just have bad signal.
    Have you tried updating the prl and your profile? That may help.