how much data do you use?General

Last Updated:

1. stanfna

stanfna Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

has anyone else noticed a huge spike in their data usage? I used to average between 200-250MB per month with my Storm2. i am at 726MB so far this month! :eek:

I don't tether and I use the same WIFI networks that I used on my Storm2. I use the Incredible a little bit more than i did the Storm2...but 3X the amount of DATA seems odd.

any thoughts? :confused:

thanks!

Advertisement
  2. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

yea mines way more even though i have tethered some it shouldnt be as high as mine... im at 4gb

3. Proph

Proph Well-Known Member

i know i have seen it before but cant' remember where..... where are you guys seeing your data usage?

4. Needz_Android

Needz_Android Well-Known Member

i'm at a gig right now and i didn't even use my phone for a whole week while i was in St. Thomas

5. androy

androy Well-Known Member

Im at 3.5Gb but I stream Pandora maybe an hour a day and surf this site for maybe an hour too. I didn't think I would be at 3.5 Gb though.

Is there an app that will keep track of data usage from each app?

I sure hope Verizon doesn't pull an AT&T and take away our unlimited data. It would really suck to be charged for data overage especially if you don't know where its coming from.

6. fortesquieu

fortesquieu Well-Known Member

Go download "my verizon app". You can check your usage there. Go to Market, then Verizon, then My Verizon.

7. jfunk

jfunk Well-Known Member

Obviously there is no way for us to tell you what you are using data for on your phone.

What apps are you running? They are what is using your data.

8. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

9. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

Ive got 522MB already.
    wow does seem high, lemme ck last month

lol that was last month, though i would have much more without baty issues.
    When the 2150 extended bat is released , i expect many will have higher data usage

10. upther

upther Well-Known Member

Today is my last day of the cycle and I've got 1.5GB.

11. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I'm at 800megs already and my cycle ends the 22nd so probably be almost 3gigs. Which I find odd since when I'm at work or home I'm using WiFi

12. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

I have had mine for a week. I am at just under 1GB.

This is probably why I run down my battery every 4-6 hours.

13. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

14. sucker4pa1n

sucker4pa1n Well-Known Member

Within a week I was at 300MB, by the end of the month I think I hit close to 2GB... haven't actually checked though. Last time I checked was about 1.5 weeks ago and I was at 1.2GB.

15. rockstar323

rockstar323 Well-Known Member

Since I moved to Android last year i have been using anywhere from 1.5 to 4 gigs. Average is around 3 gigs. Before i was using around 300-500 mb a month on my blackberry. No tethering.

16. deanq4

deanq4 Member

wow, first month I used 400 meg. I have started to stream pandora this month so will use netcounter and watch to see. Maybe you have a program running all the time that you don't know about. Run ATK and see if any are accessing the net.

17. stanfna

stanfna Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

wow...glad to see i am not alone. i realize it was a vague question, but i was hoping to start a conversation about what apps people have noticed that chew through data that may not be as obvious as say streaming Pandora all day.

since I don't tether (yet) or stream music that often, I am not sure what specific apps are eating up all the data. I do have Facebook, twitter, weatherbug and stuff like that auto updating...but could those really be using THAT much data?

Thanks!

18. Rdjr74

Rdjr74 Well-Known Member

I'm at 1.6GB and have 6 days left on this cycle.

19. serpentine009

serpentine009 Well-Known Member

Any data communication to and from a Blackberry is sent thru RIMs servers, where it is compressed, stripped, "optimized" for the handset. They are all about controlling flows of data. For instance, emails that are 15 replies long, may fully load on your Dinc, but on a BB it won't show it all unless requested. Same with Web, not all content is delivered. Especially video content. So it is normal to see increased data usage simply by switching phones. How much of an increase? Well that's beyond my knowledge.

stanfna likes this.
  20. Taylored

Taylored Well-Known Member

I stream Radio at least 4 hours a day. I have weather widgets, BuzzBox, Dealdroid, Congress, Facebook, Google maps and Skymaps. I also use my phone for most of my web browsing (90% of my posts in here are via Dinc) as my phone is faster than my home PC... and my macbook. I use a lot of data because I am a heavy user.

21. todoubled

todoubled Member

I can't say what i was at before i got my incredible since i had a dumb phone but i'm only at about 300mb this cycle which ends on june 19. As for people coming from BlackBerrys i read in an article today that the average person on used about 54mb a month. This was due to alot of stuff on the back end on RIM's part. I'll try to find the article and add a link if i remember where i saw it.

22. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I don't keep track of data usage, but I can tell you this. I'm using my lappy somewhat less and my DI much more. Its speed makes far more convenient to use than my old xv6900.

23. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

I actually sold my netbook cause it just wasn't being used anymore my Incredible does everything it could do and it's more reliable

24. elrabin

elrabin Well-Known Member

i'm already using far more data on my incredible than i did on my ATT Touch Pro 2.

I think the reason for me is two-fold.

1) I now have reliable 3g data everwhere i go. That wasn't the case on AT&T. So i'm using the phone more often.

2) I'm using a lot more data-intensive services on the Incredible vs my Touch Pro 2.

Google Maps navigation
    Google Goggles
    Google Skymap
    Google Earth
    Shazam
    Pandora
    Uploads to Flickr and viewing my friends photos
    Dropbox sync of all my documents
    Google Voice SMS(on AT&T i had texting blocked entirely)
    I surf the web a LOT more on the Incredible since its such a nice experience vs the pain of trying to get to any site with AT&T.

And i'm sure the syncing of my gmail account, contacts and social media site info takes a chunk too.

On an average month i did 250mb with my Touch Pro 2.

My first month with my Incredible i did just over 1gb and this month, only 5 days into the billing cycle, i am at 500mb now that i have everything installed and configured how i want.

25. alison03

alison03 Well-Known Member

So to clarify - apps can (and do) use data to run? Does it say anywhere (or how can you tell) which apps are using data?

I was curious so I checked out my family plan's data for our 2 Incredibles. I use mine fairly heavily (or so I thought) and am at 117 mb. My fiance is at 1242 mb or 2 gb already. I have more apps downloaded than he does and he doesn't seem to use his phone nearly as much! Could it be an app running?

Not that it really matters, but all this chatter about AT&T restricting their data plans just made us wonder where the data goes! When I told him the numbers he was shocked and we're both just confused and curious!