How much data is a gigabyte?General

Last Updated:

1. insidenyc

insidenyc Active Member

Hi All:

Verizon's hotspot plan gives you 2GB per month for $20. How much data is that in practical terms? I am sick of getting viruses on the road when I use the free wifi in hotels. I would use the wifi a lot. Both for work at night and downloading movies via Netflix when stuck in the airport, etc. Also the back of my apartment does not "see" my home wifi located in my kitchen; so, my wife could potentially use the Thunderbolt as a wifi on her i-pad for browsing and downloading movies as well. For example is a typical 2 hour movie 500MB or 75MB?

(Yes, I know that I could wirelessly tether, but I think that is dishonest. Yes, call me names.)

Sorry if their is a thread already.

Advertisement
  2. SeekerOfTheWay

SeekerOfTheWay Well-Known Member

3. Sailing_Nut

Sailing_Nut Well-Known Member

A Gigabyte is 1024Megabytes ;)

But seriously, I used 2.2GB of data last month on my phone alone, no wifi hot spot usage! I do have it set to check e-mail pretty often. But, I think you'd crush through 2GB if you use it for a wifi hot spot on a regular basis.
  4. insidenyc

insidenyc Active Member

2nd question. How will Verizon know when I am using it as a hot-spot? I sense this is one small step to charging us all a data plan.
  5. CharlzO

CharlzO Well-Known Member

To do it this way, there is a Mobile Hotspot app in the phone, which only works when it's an active feature on the account. As of now, it's free to use as a promo, til June 6th. After that, you'd have to have it added to the account, and pay the extra, so the app will only work after you've done that.

As for estimated data...yeah. I'm pretty light usage, and I've had 3 GB months just streaming radio, playing a few apps, and average browsing / youtube watching.

A full length movie, you're probably looking at a few hundred MB in itself. If you're an existing customer (I didn't read it all, sorry), you can log into your Verizon account online to get an idea of what you've used already for your month, and try to estimate it that way. Or, dial #DATA from your phone and see what it says you've used already.
  6. insidenyc

insidenyc Active Member

Thanks all:

Verizon store had no line when I popped in at 7:30 last night. The customer service guy laughed when I asked about downloading movies. He said some movies are over 1GB and it would be a bad idea.
  7. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Verizon has killed the usefulness of LTE by charging $30 for only 2GB with the new rumored datacap. And they still want an extra $20 for tethering.
    You can use up the month's allowance in 17 minutes at good LTE speeds. Not practical. Gouging. Choking. Can't realistically do video. No use for the faster speed.
  8. SeekerOfTheWay

SeekerOfTheWay Well-Known Member

Well, the charge Is $30 for unlimited LTE right now and for existing users. Those wanting to switch to VZW better do it ASAP