• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much display time do you get out of one battery charge?

mobile363

Jun 19, 2011
Im sorry for going on and on about battery life on this phone, but today i suffered badly with battery life and i want to know if it is normal. Telus seems reluctant to take my phone in on warranty to get a battery changed...

I had 3g on surfing the web. I was in the company truck so i had a charger. But I was booooored. I needed something to pass the time. So i surfed the web pretty much non stop for an hour and 15 minutes. After this my battery was at 50%. Im the laughing stock of my workplace because of the battery life on this phone.

Now I have display set to auto. Because otherwise i can barely see the screen. Left 3g on it. Killed unnecessary apps. No wifi. No syncing. Basically the display ate like 90% of the battery according to the stats.

Am I alone here? Why does the screen eat up so much power? How come the Iphone screen doesn't? I cant justify it being a 4.3" screen and thats the only reason why it eats battery. I haven't ever not made it through the day with my phone. And i admit that if i dont use it, then sure, the battery lasts for 2 days.

Talk me into keeping this phone. Im at my nerves end and am ready to give it up. I love the android though. Im hessitant to buy an Iphone simply because i dont want to be hip and trendy like everyone else who owns one.

Reactions: coopr
Whats your control, have you had the screen on an iPhone for this period and compared the battery life?

Apple suggest 6 hours on 3G web browsing from a full battery(id take that with a pinch of salt), did you have Bluetooth turned on, was WiFi turned on both of these will use battery searching for connections if not being used

Upvote 0
I would also say that if your that concerned about what other people think, and that battery life is really affecting your experience with this device, join the iPhoney crew, you can all gather around your Retina displays talking about how "real" it looks.

I can get 8 - 10 hours of mederate use with 70 -80% display use, my sync is always on, but my wifi and BT is turned if if not required

Upvote 0
First things first, if all things were equal (battery draw) the DHD screen is at least 20% larger than the iphone and therefor on that alone would take more battery.

With heavy use I can get 8-10 hours, (3 hrs of music, 5-10 phone calls, 50 text, 45-60 mins of surfing) moderate use I can get through the day. I am rooted using Virtuous Unity 1.27.0 Sense 3.0.

Were you going to web sites with flash? Iphone doesn't render flash and therefor uses less cpu compared to DHD!

I would agree that apple has made there iphone last longer on a charge, however for a little investment you can buy an extra battery and just swap out your battery partway thru your day. (iphone can't do that)

I purchased a cradle and batteries off ebay. Similar to this one, link.

I use the cradle on my night stand and really like it. I now use my phone as my alarm clock.

Most accessories for android phones compared to iphones are much, much cheaper.

Upvote 0
guys, i dont want to make another thread if u can help me,
i recently upgraded to android 2.3 after a week or so, my battery is not performing good enough. i mean before i could get upto 16 hrs of battery life with wifi/auto-sync on, and i have two chargers one at home and one at work and i never had any issues about dying battery.

now i cannot get more than 8 hrs on battery life, i need auto-sync coz it has my 2 gmail accounts and i have twitter which updates in 4 hrs.

what can i do, its only 6 months since i got my phone, so is the battery life dying, or what can i do?

are the other batteries on ebay reliable and trustworthy?

maddog, i would go ahead and order the link you have given....if you tell me its worth every cent and you have also got the same.

thanks for your help

Upvote 0
maddog, i would go ahead and order the link you have given....if you tell me its worth every cent and you have also got the same.

thanks for your help

This is not the exact same one that I bought. I included the link as an example only. It is similar and I have had no issues with mine. The batteries state that they are 1600mah but in reality they perform no longer than the original. That is not a complaint, just the truth.

Some people may not wish to carry an extra battery and that is ok. The only time I need an extra battery is at work (I work 24 hour shifts, so having an extra battery is handy). I keep the battery in my work bag.

There have been lots of times I have listened to 3-4 hours of music or pod casts and my battery is drained in 6-7 hours. I turn it off, replace the battery (the dock also charges the extra batteries) and I'm back to 100% in less the 5 mins.

Back to the original post. Today after 12 hours, I have 45% left with moderate use and my display stats show it has been on for just less than 50 mins.

Upvote 0
I get about 3 - 4 hours of Display time with in about 18hrs - 1d. I have juice defender, I turn off wifi when not needed same with mobile, bluetooth. I only Sync my email every hour.

I am still on 2.2.

In comparison, it really is HTC Sense that drains our battery. My buddy is on Nexus S, he gets about 5 - 6 hours of Display time with roughly the same online. But he has 2G.

Upvote 0
In comparison, it really is HTC Sense that drains our battery. My buddy is on Nexus S, he gets about 5 - 6 hours of Display time with roughly the same online. But he has 2G.

The Nexus S has an AMOLED screen too, they're much better on the battery than the SLCD on the DHD.

Sense is meant to be quite bad on battery though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones