• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much free app space, out of box for EVO?

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Nov 13, 2008
Kentucky
How much app storage space is free, out of the box? Sure, apps2sd is coming, but given HTC's Sense update track record, it may be at least a few months later than Nexus. This is probably a given now, considering the some Nexus owners are already getting the update as I type this.

Free space out of the box for devices I have tried or owned:

G1 = less than 100mb
Nexus = 200 MB
Droid = 248MB
Incredible = 748mb

That would be odd, since Incredible would have over twice the free space. I have 304mb of third party apps installed and still have 448mb free. EVO has a 1gb rom, so I expected about 650mb free. Incred only has a 512mb rom, but uses it only for the OS and stock apps. All third party apps goes to 748mb of flash memory and 6.6gb is free for media storage.

Upvote 0
As I said, the Inc uses the 512mb rom for the OS and stock apps. All third party apps are placed in the 748mb of allocated flash memory. I have 304mb of apps installed and 444 free. I have way more apps than would fit on my Droid. This is why there is only 6.6gb free for media and not more of the 8gb that is buiilt in.

Added:

When 2.2 comes, app space will not be an issue, but HTC but may be a while.

Upvote 0
As I said, the Inc uses the 512mb rom for the OS and stock apps. All third party apps are placed in the 748mb of allocated flash memory. I have 304mb of apps installed and 444 free. I have way more apps than would fit on my Droid. This is why there is only 6.6gb free for media and not more of the 8gb that is buiilt in.

Added:

When 2.2 comes, app space will not be an issue, but HTC but may be a while.

OK..
I think they where asking about native functionality. Since the EVO has not even been ROOTED yet... So you can not run A2SD on it. EVO has 1gb, so it should have more than the INC's 512MB when running stock!

My Hero is also running A2SD.. and I can load a crap load of apps on it. and I still have 140mb free. :)

Upvote 0
OK..
I think they where asking about native functionality. Since the EVO has not even been ROOTED yet... So you can not run A2SD on it. EVO has 1gb, so it should have more than the INC's 512MB when running stock!

My Hero is also running A2SD.. and I can load a crap load of apps on it. and I still have 140mb free. :)

The Incredible shipped with allocated flash memory out of the box (not rooted, retail unit). I have not rooted, but still have 748mb free for apps :) Inc has 8gb of internal flash, but 748mb of it is allocated for apps already.

The 512mb rom has the OS and stock apps, and that is it. Anything you install from the market goes straight to the 748mb allocated flash memory. HTC did this and it is a native function of the device :)

Upvote 0
The Incredible shipped with allocated flash memory out of the box (not rooted, retail unit). I have not rooted, but still have 748mb free for apps :) Inc has 8gb of internal flash, but 748mb of it is allocated for apps already.

The 512mb rom has the OS and stock apps, and that is it. Anything you install from the market goes straight to the 748mb allocated flash memory. HTC did this and it is a native function of the device :)

:eek: :eek: :eek:
WOW
this is new to me!!!!

now, this functionality should have been added to the EVO..

Upvote 0
Once we have root or froyo it wont matter.

True, but all of us HTC Sense users will have to wait until later in the year for 2.2.

As far as EVO being set up like Incredible, EVO does not have any built in flash to allocate- just has the rom, but having only 360mb free with a 1gb rom makes no sense. Even after subtracting for the OS and stock apps, should be about 600mb free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones