How much free memory do you average?

Last Updated:

1. Smoghog

Smoghog Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I'm using Advanced Task Killer with my Captivate, and my phone isn't rooted yet or anything. With some my default apps set to the ignore list (messaging, voice search, etc...) and the Autokill set to agressive, I average 90-100mb free memory at any given time.

What do you guys usually see, on average, under light/heavy usage?

Advertisement
  2. bllester

bllester Member

I'm not sure, but i'm almost convinced that having the app killer running crazy (I have it set to that too) takes more battery than just having the damn apps opened up.

3. thindery

thindery Well-Known Member

When I use to just be rooted my phone would free up anywhere from 90-120 mb easily. After I applied the super rooter and lagfix ext 4, my memery is typically in the 80s range. However, a few times it has said it had 150mb free.

In any case, the lagfix had greatly sped up my phone compared to the highest amoutn of "memory available" when it didn't have the lag fix on it.

4. JuneNYC

JuneNYC Well-Known Member

Range is 60~120 after I clear it with atk

5. LeRolls

LeRolls Active Member

Same here. Sometimes if I'm lucky I get 130-150.

6. ElTigre2323

ElTigre2323 Member

Same here

7. Muirne

Muirne Active Member

I've read on a few venues that on average you shouldn't need to use something like ATK since android is linux and not windows. Take the information as you see fit. :D

8. emuneee

emuneee Well-Known Member

20-40MB free. I don't run any task killers and my phone NEVER experiences a slow down. Ever. Don't get caught up in how much memory you have. Android manages memory fine IMO. Do get caught up in the type of apps you have running in the background

9. skinien

skinien Well-Known Member

I stopped using ATK and noticed that the phone is running smoother and my battery life has increased.

Dennis_Bham likes this.
  10. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Well-Known Member

140 mb even without an auto task killer. its because i use minfreemanager and i occasionally manually close running tasks.

11. KappaG9

KappaG9 Well-Known Member

12. Divinedark

Divinedark Well-Known Member

It fluctuates wildly from 60-150MB. I have really been slapping my hand when reaching for the task killer. It's seemed to make my phone work a bit smoother. I have had to use it a couple times when I've had an app lock up.

13. Gipson

Gipson Well-Known Member

same here. what i would've said too

14. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member

Emuneee said: 20-40MB free. I don't run any task killers and my phone NEVER experiences a slow down. Ever. Don't get caught up in how much memory you have. Android manages memory fine IMO. Do get caught up in the type of apps you have running in the background

I agree ...

15. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Free memory is wasted memory. If you've got it available, it's better to have Android using it for something useful than it just sitting there idle and unused. Let Android handle your memory management and don't get OCD about free memory stats. Android prioritizes things in memory and if you launch something, it kicks out low-importance things in order of priority.

16. Karl_Tx

Karl_Tx Well-Known Member

about 145 with Automatic Task Manager.....tried alot of them......keep coming back to this one.

17. captivate1

captivate1 Member

I average around 140-150 on a regular basis...I have ATK running in minimal fashion and alot of apps loaded and constantly switching between them.

pretty happy with that.

18. rpgmaker

rpgmaker Active Member

About 120MB on average, it fluctuactes between 100-140MB which is ridiculous in my view since I come from using an HTC wildfire with 380MB of ram that averaged the same free ram most of the time. After I rebooted it it will usually take days before he goes below the 100mb mark of free ram after running a task killer on it, something I can't say about the Captivate. Although the Wildfire was noticeably slower so I'm not really minding the memory thing much.. I just have it since yesterday :D let's see how it fares the rest of the week...

19. RedRyno

RedRyno Well-Known Member

100% of my memory is free, haven't spent a dime on any...