• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much importance should I place on a dual-core processor?

Ni Dieu Ni Maitre

Aug 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm about to get a new phone. I would rather not wait too long to upgrade, but the phone I'm most interested in uses a single-core processor. I'll be signing another ghastly two year contract, presumably, so I'd like to make sure I don't regret my purchase at some point.

In your opinion, what are the odds that not getting a phone with two cores will come back to haunt me sometime in the next two years?

Signing a 2 year contract when you have doubts is a big "NO" in my mind as 90% of the time you will regret it right from the start.

Mobile technology is moving at rapid speed right now with Nvidia already demonstrating it's quad core tegra 3 (which btw looks amazing).

As you prob know you can always buy out the contract if you want to cancel early or just buy a unlocked phone and replace the sim. I've had to do it a few times and yes it's costly but being a proper hardware freak I can't help it.

Upvote 0
In your opinion, what are the odds that not getting a phone with two cores will come back to haunt me sometime in the next two years?
Depends on the apps you use and whether or not they stand to benefit from dual cores. I'd say odds are fairly good IMO.

As you prob know you can always buy out the contract if you want to cancel early or just buy a unlocked phone and replace the sim.
Verizon (OP has a Droid X) is CDMA. Still, there are basically the same options for CDMA users minus the SIM card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones