How much internal memory do you have?General

How much available internal memory do you have?

1. 1.2 gb

83.3%
  2. 3.6 gb

16.7%

Last Updated:

1. shivers316

shivers316 Godmember VIP Member This Topic's Starter

OK, so some people like myself are getting their G2 with 1.2 gb available internal memory, and some with 3.6 gb. Which one are are you?

Advertisement
  2. rfdesq

rfdesq Well-Known Member

Would you post a link to someone who has 3.6. I haven't seen that yet. I've only seen the 1.2 variety. Thanks.

3. boloj

boloj Active Member

I got 1.2 GB I wonder what HTC or T-Mobile is going to do about this recall? exchange?

4. Clackamas

Clackamas Well-Known Member

What are your frimware versions?

VISION PVT SHIP S-ON
    HBOOT-0.82.0000
    MICROP0-0425
    eMMC-boot
    September 2, 2010, 17:59:38

5. Clackamas

I have done a little investigation. Remember this about my comments: I am only now coming up to speed on Andriod development and have not studied the Linux implementation in detail on Android. I don't want to root my phone (in case I decided to take it back) at this time. However, the internal memory is device mmc, Major number 179, minor 0. /proc/partitions shows mmcblk0 with a total size of 2203648Kb. People are seeing "1.2GB" available of "1.3GB" available, because mmcblk0 is divided into about 20 partitions that are using the other ~900Kb. The "1.2GB" "Internal Memory Available" reported by the Android is mounted to /data.

Anyway, the 2203648Kb number is interesting because it is larger than 2^31 (2GB in base 2). This in turn, implies, the Android 2.2 configuration on the G2 is not using all of the "internal mmc" since 4GB = 2^32.

So, either someone willing to root the phone in order to get at /proc info that is not available to non-root users or a tear down and listing o the part numbers will settle the issue.

Oh, and I used "Android Command Shell" from the Market to obtain the /proc information and confirm what some other tools were saying.

6. Got_Droids

Got_Droids New Member

So does this mean that I should hold off on purchasing the early version of the G2?...I was going to buy mine today after work but now I am not sure if I should wait to see if the second batch will be smoother.

7. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

go ahead and get it still

8. Clackamas

This was resolved on the xda-developers.com form in this thread:

Internal memory... - xda-developers

Essentailly, the phone DOES HAVE the 4G part. However, on 2G of it is exposed to the OS. It has instructiosn at the end of the thread on how to get Android to display the device and it's parameters.

Why only 2G has not been determined, but it is not due to a change in the hardware specs at the last min.

9. blkidea

blkidea Active Member

I only have 1.2 gb. So 2gb for the OS that leaves us with 2gb for other stuff? Hmm... a bit misleading.

10. boloj

boloj Active Member

It's a bug the guys over at xda developers and opened up the G2 and found the flash chip inside and it is 4gb. I think they will fix it with an OTA update

11. SUPERGALAXYS

SUPERGALAXYS Well-Known Member

mines 1.2..

12. Ceiling Fan

Ceiling Fan Member

1.19 now
    how do i uninstall crap like photobucket?

13. evansjpl

evansjpl New Member

I spoke to T-Mobile and made a couple of calls, yes the phone does comes with 4G of internal memory but due to the usage of the processor, you are left with 1.23G. For that reason the company included a bigger external memory in the phone which is the 8G Micro SD card. But I wouldn't recommend rooting (hacking) the phone just to uninstall the pre-installed programs. Because that would just void the warranty of the phone.

14. omitshod

omitshod Member

figure out how to root the phone, otherwise its there forever.

15. fryrice

fryrice Member

i though there is a rootkit so its more of a hardware lock and we can't root the phone.

16. SamsungVibrant

SamsungVibrant Well-Known Member

Considering possibly also getting this phone. Can anyone let me know what eventually happened with this issue. Is the memory physically there or not, whats the final conclusion about the memory being reported so low?

17. justme8800

justme8800 Well-Known Member

Oh, the memory's there, all right. It's just locked off by the OS, most likely for their anti-root scheme.

Hopefully we'll be able to access it once we get real root access.

18. MuskyHunter2542

MuskyHunter2542 Member

1.14 Available space

19. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

So is the 3.6 another rumor like the OTA one?

20. Gwanatu

Gwanatu Member

I've only got 1GB but I'm sure that's because I have stuff installed. This is my second G2 and the first also had the 1.2GB on the phone. When I called T-Mobile they told me that the Android OS was taking up the other ~2.8GB and I wasn't sure what to say about that so I bought it.