• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much longer will you keep your EVO 4G?

Who is upgrading to the LTE and who is staying Old School?

• Going to upgrade to the EVO LTE and not look back.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Staying with the Original EVO, still kicking butt!

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last week me phone started going into Car Panel mode randomly throughout the day. I cleaned dalvik cache and cache, I reflashed my ROM, I flashed an old ROM, I froze Car Panel in Titanium Backup, I uninstalled Car Panel in Titanium Backup. But after days of trying I am going to have to say goodbye to my EVO. I truely felt like I gave my phone the equivelant of CPR to a human, doing everything I could think of before I had to call it.

Maybe it is not a complete goodbye, I will still use it for an mp3 player, maybe play some old games, maybe keep it around for a desperate backup situation, but it looks like it is time for me to move on. Whether I wanted to or not, I am being forced to move to another phone.

I am on Sprint and have been holding out for a Nokia phone for what feels like a year. I was eligible for an upgrade over a year and a half ago but I have held onto my Evo because I didn't think there was a better phone or community out there. I have wanted to try a Windows phone for quite awhile now and with Sprint only having 2 Windows phones, I have gone with the HTC 8XT.

It has only been 2 days on this new phone, but I am realizing really quickly that I am going to miss how much help there is out there for certain phones and OS's. This is getting a little long but wanted to say a thank you for all that have answered my questions, developed ROMs, written tutorials, or even asked the question I needed an answer to before I even asked it.

I didn't necessarily talk to some of you, but here is a thank you to some of the people who got this forum going or seemed to have answers to questions that helped me along the way.

twospirits, ocnbrze, Caloy, tube517, dan330, EarlyMon, Matlock, Covert_Death, and most definitely billsmed who seemed like he was the 1st (unofficial) moderator of the Evo forum who put the work into getting all of the information and rumors together.

I completely understand...my OG EVO started acting crazy before I replaced it with my HTC One.

Mine started randomly rebooting itself, and freezing up. Like you, I knew the end of my OG EVO was near.

Lucky for me, my OG EVO started crapping out about the same time the HTC One M7 was launched.

I have to say that I made a great decision, choosing the HTC One.

Upvote 0
Bought my Evo in 2010, just ported my number over to AT&T GoPhone tonight, and am on a semi crappy Avail 2 right now. I got tired of Sprint's dropped calls and pathetic data speeds. I don't even care that I don't have unlimited data anymore, Sprint was so slow I never used the data anyways, except for navigation. So, the 2 gigs I get with GoPhone should be just fine.

Hoping to upgrade to a nicer phone in the spring once I recover from xmas purchasing... maybe the Nexus 5.

Upvote 0
I'm getting a kick out of reading this thread. Now that you long timers are finally retiring your EVO 4G's, the devices are finding new owners and popularity due to the Freedompop service. I just got a refurbished one from them. It seems like a very nice phone, however the battery life so far is just dreadful compared to more up-to-date smartphones I've used.

[I'll be reading more here about how to maximize the battery life. There are years worth of reading material. :) Any other Freedompoppers here? Not sure if the Freedompop apps and configuration are especially bad for the battery life? Any suggestions are welcome. I can start a new thread so as not to hijack this one.]

Upvote 0
Welcome Masked One!
Glad to have you join us :)
And very cool you have the Evo 4G!! It still is an awesome device...I still have mine and my co-workers (albeit deactivated).
While I personally am not with FreedomPop, go ahead and start a new thread so others can more readily see it, and chime in about your battery issue!! :)

Edit: this is the forum best to start it in:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/

Upvote 0
If you are interested in getting the service, it actually does work on 3G in addition to on WiMax. You can sign up even if your address doesn't pass the check. You might just have to enter a location with WiMax coverage on the initial page currently to get around a bug on their site.

As per:
https://forums.freedompop.com/discussion/comment/4415/#Comment_4415

"If you're getting a recaptcha error on the BYOD page, it's an error with the site; freedom pop is aware of it, and presumably working on a fix. HOWEVER you can get around it now. This error only seems to appear if you get the message saying you don't have coverage and you click "Get Anyway" What you have to do is; enter an address on the first page that DOES have coverage. Try 815 Boylston St 02116 (boston apple store) It will say "Great News! FreedomPop service is available in your area." and you can continue to checkout normally. Make sure that you put in your real address when you checkout, though."

Reactions: tube517
Upvote 0
I've had my EVO for 4 years now and my new One M8 is being delivered on Monday. I would have kept the EVO until support is completely gone but it's had a rough life. I travel for work a bit and I work in industry (lots of dirty manufacturing facilities). It also comes with me mountain biking, camping, boating, geocaching, and every other rough environment you can imagine. In January the volume button quit working, then the camera. I brought it in to be repaired and the tech bandaged it so I could get some functionality back (he repaired the camera and volume buttons) but a week later the GPS quit working.

I've been eligible for an upgrade for sometime now and decided it was time to get a new phone. I've had HTC for my last 2 phones and I can't say a bad word about the product the company puts out. I rooted this one with Cyanogenmod last year and got a good bump in performance but I need working buttons and GPS on a phone. I can't wait to start playing with the M8, I don't think it will be a disappointment.

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
Gona keep until phone messes up then return for brand new updated evo :)

PS can i mess up phone like corrupt s/w or h/w? Wana get a new phone already cus i have monthly protection plan from Sprint....

sorry, but gonna have to stop the conversation right here. we cannot talk or discuss warranty or insurance fraud here in AF!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
well it has been four years and i still have the htc evo 4g, aka og evo. i was doing some spring cleaning and i found it lying in a drawer.......best part about it was that i pressed the power button to turn it on and it boot up right away without having to charge it first. it must have been a year ar so since i last used it and charged it.......wow what a battery life!!!!!!!!!!

i really missed those days of having the htc evo, rooting it, and playing with some of the awesome roms that are out there. i tempted to check in and see how development is going on still for this phone.

it still amazes me how people still have this phone, when we there a myriad of cool new amazing phones that are out there right now. it goes to show you how much of a game changer the og evo was/is.

anybody else still use this phone?

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Still have both of mine and look like new. Sad that there is more posting here than the LTEvo forums. Oh well just thought I would stop in and say HI.

yeah, i here you. with technology improving at such an alarming rate, i'm not surprised about the htc evo lte forums. i moved on to bigger phone (note 3). i do not plan on upgrading just yet to the note 4. i'm thinking for the first time, since my og evo days, i will just wait out my 2yr contract. i might even think about switching from sprint to verizon before i upgrade to me next phone which most likely be the note 5.....LOL

i think i'm gonna dust off my evo and use it to work out with.....i still can't believe it turned on after almost sitting in my drawer for almost a year now.....crazy!!!!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones