How much memory is enough?General

Last Updated:

1. DSSSE

DSSSE Member This Topic's Starter

My Eris is always hovering around 25-30 megs of RAM available. Is that enough to properly run the phone? Or do I have a problem?

Advertisement
  2. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

That's up to you. I always keep mine above 50ish. If you're phone seems responsive, then it's fine, if it's feeling laggy, there may be a few different things you could do.

3. DSSSE

DSSSE Member This Topic's Starter

It has been lagging. Is it just a matter of using a talk killer.

4. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

Have you cleared your caches? Also, I use TasKiller. I don't autokill, which I think is pretty counter productive, but usually clearing your cache will speed it up. Task Killers are debateable, I usually just use it to make sure nothing is draining my battery in the background.

5. SirSlayer

SirSlayer Well-Known Member

6. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

I would like to point out that just because Android is programmed to do something, doesn't mean all the apps comply with this. Perhaps on the memory side of things, but I know when I open up google maps, it activates my GPS, which is fine and dandy. I then exit Google Maps. Sometimes it will automatically turn my GPS, sometimes it will not. I have similar problems with apps like Aloqua.

My philosophy is there are some apps I shouldn't kill (Like Clock, Calender, and Taskiller doesn't even give the option to kill more essential processes), but in the end, I don't see any reason to keep Snesoid or Pandora running it the background because the only thing they could be doing sitting there in the background is draining my battery.

7. ChiTownJim

ChiTownJim Well-Known Member

When I was running TasKiller I was normally running around 30-40megs and saw it as high as 101megs when everything was killed. But now I don't pay any attention and my phone never seems to lag.