• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much memory space do others have left?

352mb

No low space notification, but I'm on cyanogen

What rom does not appear to matter. I have had stock 2.1, stock 2.2, Skyraider and 2.2 stock lite (bloatware removed). Started with cleaning data and cache everytime and STILL get the "Low on space" problem.

This is almost certainly a hardware memory bug in the Incredible, since many roms have been documented to have the problem. Stock or not, it does not matter.

Droid X does not have the problem, so not an Android problem- it is an Incredible problem.

Upvote 0
What rom does not appear to matter. I have had stock 2.1, stock 2.2, Skyraider and 2.2 stock lite (bloatware removed). Started with cleaning data and cache everytime and STILL get the "Low on space" problem.

ROM does matter.

Stock 2.1 + 2.2 + skyraider + etc. are all SENSE based no matter how you spin it.

Cyanogen, Ruby, etc. are ASOP ROMs. Completely different and devoid of HTC's buggy sense bloat. I've previously tried every sense based ROM out there and I never could've gotten this many apps installed without having gotten that annoying "Low Memory".

Try out an ASOP ROM and see for yourself :)

Upvote 0
Really strange stuff happening. I was trying to update Google Earth and it was saying I didnt have enough space. I then uninstalled the app and reinstalled it with the newest update and it was fine. I finally decided to just uninstall the app because I never use it.

Crazy thing is it says it takes up 16MB after moving some to the SD card. I deleted it and didnt see my phone memory available go up by 16MBs.

I also just installed Heroes of Sparta and it had no problem installing. Plus the storage space is lower now that it was when I was trying to install Google Earth!

Go figure! LOL

Upvote 0
Interesting development. I just downloaded Kongregate Arcade. Under menu>storage options it allows you to choose internal or external and it also gives you the amount of storage left.

While under SD and Phone Storage it shows I have 580MBs available Kongregate Arcade only shows 31MBs! :eek:

Obviously this is looking at that data/data folder and proves that there is a limit on app storage. :rolleyes:

We should flood HTC's inbox about this!

If you would like to see how much you actually have left and you are not rooted download this app and you will see.

Edit: This is what I just submitted to HTC. I doubt they will do anything with it though. I would love them to acknowledge there is an issue and that they are working on a fix but I am sure they will just give me the same boxed answer as before.

"I have an HTC Droid Incredible. I have emailed before about the app storage issue but have just gotten the standard reply that it must either be a 3rd party app or I need to do a hard reset. No one seems to address the issue at hand that HTC has limited the amount of storage available for app storage.

Although I have been told several times that all 748MBs of storage is available for apps that is not true.

I recently downloaded an app (from the Android Market) called Kongregate Arcade. This app has a feature to choose where (internal or external) to store the games you may download through their portal. In addition it shows the space remaining. My phone tells me I have 580MBs remaining but this new app says I only have 31MBs!

I have cleared all my cache as you have instructed me in the past to no avail.

I have gone to many forums and have found that the data/data folder is limited. No one knows for sure what that limit is but I know for a fact I do not have 748MBs of apps on my phone.

Please! Please! I spent my hard earned money on the phone only to find out that HTC lied to me about the storage.

I do not want to go and buy an iPhone that allows me to store 16 or 32GBs worth of apps if I wanted to.

Fix this issue ASAP or you may lose many customers!"

Upvote 0
Well, I actually got somewhat of an honest reply from HTC.

They basically admit that not all the 748MBs of storage are available for app storage.

See their response:

I know how frustrating it can be to have application storage issues on your HTC Droid Incredible device from Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your feedback, Seth; we know how important customer feedback is to our products.

Please check the amounts of data that the respective applications store on your device. Press Home > MENU, tap Settings > Applications > Manage applications, press MENU, and then set the filter to ALL. Press MENU once again and then select "Sort by Size." The application at the top of the list is the one that stores the largest amount of data.

In addition, the space listed on the box and in advertisements is the total storage capacity of the phone, and in fact does exist in the phone. However, the majority of the space is used to make sure your phone is running at optimal performance levels. If you require more space, you can use the provided SD Card to add applications, media, and other files. HTC has successfully tested microSD cards up to 16 MB in this device.

I just sent a reply asking for the exact amount of app storage.

Edit: I just did a little addition following their instructions but tweaked a little. I only counted those applications that I downloaded. I got a total of 179.75MBs. Using Kongregate Arcade to tell me what is left (31.8MBs) I then can calculate that I have about 211MBs of app storage available.

Can anyone confirm what the folder size limit is for data/data?

Upvote 0
Can anyone confirm what the folder size limit is for data/data?

The size is 150 MB and people have been reporting the "low space" warning when they get down to around 15 MB or so remaining from what I have read anyway. Haven't personally run into this but I'm still at almost 90 MB free.

CAP201101191047-2.jpg

Upvote 0
The size is 150 MB and people have been reporting the "low space" warning when they get down to around 15 MB or so remaining from what I have read anyway. Haven't personally run into this but I'm still at almost 90 MB free.

CAP201101191047-2.jpg

Thanks! Great information.

The plot thickens.

Read this reply. It just amazes me the BS that spews out of HTC. (Bold added)

Thank you for your further inquiry regarding storage space on your HTC Droid Incredible device from Verizon Wireless, Seth. As it comes from the factory, the Droid Incredible has 710 MB available for storage and memory usage of the phone. However, after the 2.2 update, users can install some applications to the microSD card. The application developer or provider has the responsibility to configure the program to allow for this feature, which will free up more room for applications to be installed internally. If you have further questions, I believe we could provide the information you need faster and more efficiently via telephone.

Upvote 0
Since 2.1 stock, I was stuck at 380mb free and no way to install more (out of space warning). The issue IS the Data/data folder and the 135mb constraint. Breach 135mb in the 150mb folder and game over for space. You could have 500mb free and if somehow you have 135mb or more in the data folder- no space warning for apps.

I located some apps that used a lot of data and uninstalled them. I have now loaded ALL (except the three I zapped) of my apps and have 190mb free. The data folder is the problem. Case closed.

Two apps that suck up 8 or more mb (average is 60K for most apps):

Tyrinian = 12 plus megs
Gallery app = 8 plus megs (for me at least). I cleared the data and no longer use the app.

There are others, but point is some apps were poorly designed for Android (IMO).

HTC f'd up with the Incredible and the data folder.

VZW and HTC customer support are RUBES for telling people to reset their device. It does NOT fix the problem.

Reactions: iowabowtech
Upvote 0
Since 2.1 stock, I was stuck at 380mb free and no way to install more (out of space warning). The issue IS the Data/data folder and the 135mb constraint. Breach 135mb in the 150mb folder and game over for space. You could have 500mb free and if somehow you have 135mb or more in the data folder- no space warning for apps.

I located some apps that used a lot of data and uninstalled them. I have now loaded ALL (except the three I zapped) of my apps and have 190mb free. The data folder is the problem. Case closed.

Two apps that suck up 8 or more mb (average is 60K for most apps):

Tyrinian = 12 plus megs
Gallery app = 8 plus megs (for me at least). I cleared the data and no longer use the app.

There are others, but point is some apps were poorly designed for Android (IMO).

HTC f'd up with the Incredible and the data folder.

VZW and HTC customer support are RUBES for telling people to reset their device. It does NOT fix the problem.

I have read the same thing about the data/data folder. But it is storing data (that you can clear in settings) or is that where it stores the actually app?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones