• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much of a problem is no app - card storage ?

Bully74uk

Apr 21, 2010
Wiltshire, UK
First post so please be gentle!
I have been researching the HTC desire with a view to upgrading in June.
Everything seems extremely positive except for the issue with not being able to store apps on the memory card, limiting the amount of and size of the apps that can be stored on the device.
If my research is correct there is 500 ish MB of storage space on the device, however the OS takes up a large chunk of this leaving a lot less

well said, actually i couldn't have said any better than this :) true people are using this forum without putting any or very least of their efforts beforehand and just make meaningless or repetitive threads.
but what's annoying me most is that you give people a hand and help them and they just dissapear without even posting if any of your advice worked or not - so how can we all learn if people just use this forum without even putting least of their efforts into building this forum into a nice experience-based data base?
so please whenever you are given help come back and thank these people who sparing their time to help people who can't be bothered to put any efforts themselves
sorry if i sounded too harsh :)

Upvote 0
That's because people are sick and tired of talking about it. There are plenty of threads regarding this issue. Why does yours have to be treated differently?

Also, I think most people who read these forums will root their phones anyway, so that won't me a problem.

Thanks for the helpful reply mate. I wasn't expecting my post to be treated any different, I was just hoping to get some advice to help me decide whether or not to purchase this handset.

If all my questions have been answered elsewhere on the forum then all you needed to do was say so, but I guess that because you have been registered on here for so long it gets a bit boring telling people the same thing !

And on the subject of rooting the phone, would that void the warranty or can the phone be restored back to factory settings if the phone got damaged etc (sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere) ?
If it voids the warranty then it seems a bit of a drastic measure for a feature that should be there by default (in an ideal world)

but what's annoying me most is that you give people a hand and help them and they just dissapear without even posting if any of your advice worked or not - so how can we all learn if people just use this forum without even putting least of their efforts into building this forum into a nice experience-based data base?

That's great mate, but you haven't actually offered me any help. You have replied to my post (which asks some reasonable questions) and all you have done is agree with the other guys flaming !

Upvote 0
Its more of an issue to some than others. You can install a lot of apps with the space provided. The smarter devs actually only install the code on the app storage space, which is very low, and other data on the sdcard. Lots of game devs are doing this, with the game only being say 1mb on your app storage, and 50+mb on your sdcard.

Google are working out this issue, we have known this since the N1 was announced. Rooting kind of voides your warranty, but only kind of. Its likely if you root and need it replaced it will be replaced.

Reactions: Bully74uk
Upvote 0
Its more of an issue to some than others. You can install a lot of apps with the space provided. The smarter devs actually only install the code on the app storage space, which is very low, and other data on the sdcard. Lots of game devs are doing this, with the game only being say 1mb on your app storage, and 50+mb on your sdcard.

Google are working out this issue, we have known this since the N1 was announced. Rooting kind of voides your warranty, but only kind of. Its likely if you root and need it replaced it will be replaced.

Lekky, thank you for taking the time to give a constructive reply. My current Blackberry only allows app storage to the phone memory and it hasn't caused me a problem but Im anticipating that I would be downloading a greater number of apps were I to purchase a Desire.

Thanks again for the advice.

Upvote 0
I have had problems with it, I've had to uninstall some things like Google Earth. I will root my phone when a tutorial is available and I really hope Android sorts this out soon. If not install apps to SD, install program executable to phone and art assets to SD - i.e. a formal version of what some dev are doing now, which would save these devs a bit of headache.

I've no idea when to expect root on the Desire. It's been done and a tutorial is, apparently, in progress. I also don't know how installing apps to SD works, can you do it straight from the market? Or move market installations? Or do you need the APK?

Upvote 0
I have had problems with it, I've had to uninstall some things like Google Earth. I will root my phone when a tutorial is available and I really hope Android sorts this out soon. If not install apps to SD, install program executable to phone and art assets to SD - i.e. a formal version of what some dev are doing now, which would save these devs a bit of headache.

I've no idea when to expect root on the Desire. It's been done and a tutorial is, apparently, in progress. I also don't know how installing apps to SD works, can you do it straight from the market? Or move market installations? Or do you need the APK?

It works just as it works now. You dont have to do anything different it just installes to the sdcard partition instead.

Reactions: Quboid
Upvote 0
Thanks for the helpful reply mate. I wasn't expecting my post to be treated any different, I was just hoping to get some advice to help me decide whether or not to purchase this handset.

If all my questions have been answered elsewhere on the forum then all you needed to do was say so, but I guess that because you have been registered on here for so long it gets a bit boring telling people the same thing !

And on the subject of rooting the phone, would that void the warranty or can the phone be restored back to factory settings if the phone got damaged etc (sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere) ?
If it voids the warranty then it seems a bit of a drastic measure for a feature that should be there by default (in an ideal world)

That's great mate, but you haven't actually offered me any help. You have replied to my post (which asks some reasonable questions) and all you have done is agree with the other guys flaming !

i said i was sorry if i sounded too harsh. and i would have helped you as we all do here, just i really want to see sometimes people putting their efforts and only then asking (as there were already many threads here regarding the same issue), that is why i think creating of new threads creats a bit of a problem for newcomers to find the right information they need.
but if you need info ask and don't be shy just please use search first and we will all help, that's why we're all here for and i guess most of us are very willing to help. just sometimes i find people being ungrateful (im not saying about you). as any kind of feedback is good as you know that the info you provide can help someone and is correct. we're all learning here.

Upvote 0

Yeah I noticed this too. Just saw the Raging Thunder 2 game in the App Store and it says that 20mb is on the sd card and only there's only a small amount on the internal memory. It seems to be the way to go. This is good because it will encourage companies to put larger programs on the Android platform.

Upvote 0
Yeah I noticed this too. Just saw the Raging Thunder 2 game in the App Store and it says that 20mb is on the sd card and only there's only a small amount on the internal memory. It seems to be the way to go. This is good because it will encourage companies to put larger programs on the Android platform.
tried it today but just Lite version and damn it's fast :) and graphics are good.
and then tried on my samsung galaxy :) hehe wow such a difference you wouldn't believe. not only stuttering like hell but also resolution is way worse than on desire.
would like to buy it just woried for now about the space as im constantly deleting apps as my phone is full (shame) but can live with that :)

and Lekky sorry (that's how we were brought up in samsung galaxy thread :) )

Upvote 0
tried it today but just Lite version and damn it's fast :) and graphics are good.
and then tried on my samsung galaxy :) hehe wow such a difference you wouldn't believe. not only stuttering like hell but also resolution is way worse than on desire.
would like to buy it just woried for now about the space as im constantly deleting apps as my phone is full (shame) but can live with that :)

and Lekky sorry (that's how we were brought up in samsung galaxy thread :) )

Looking at the app store the demo Lite version of the game just puts it all on internal memory (20mb) but the full version most of the game is on the SD card, so it would only take up a small amount of your internal memory. It is a top game, good wow factor! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones