How much time to do spend around a WiFi signal?

Last Updated:

1. RedWingsFan

RedWingsFan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

All this talk about 3G/4G speeds, hotspot, etc.... I was thinking just how much time everyone spends away from a WiFi connection they can use?

My normal day consists of getting up, going to work, and coming home. I spend maybe 2-2.5 hours away from the house while driving to/from work, picking/dropping off kids, going to the grocery store, etc...

So usually when I want to access something on my phone, I will be around a WiFi signal I can use (Home or Office).

I would think with WiFi on the EVO, thats where most of my data usage is going to be.

When using android apps, they use WiFi (if available) correct?

Advertisement
  2. tokuzumi

tokuzumi Well-Known Member

How much am I around a WiFi signal? All day.
    How much data do I use on my phone through wifi? None.

If I lived in a 3G fringe area, I'd use wifi more often. But, I can get up to 2400kb/s download speeds on EvDO Rev A at my house (according to Speedtest.net). I'm curious to see what 4G speeds will be.

I've used the wifi a little on my hero, and haven't noticed any difference in functionality of the phone when on wifi. I can download new apps/updates from the market, surf the web, access all my apps, etc.

I think the only thing you can't do is go through the Sprint Update program, which updates your PRL, and checks for firmware updates. I could be wrong about that, though.

3. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member

Heh.. So buy yourself an Evo contract-free and don't sign up for any Sprint service. Then you can use SIPdroid / VoIP for phone calls.. and WiFi for data. Save yourself about $1,000 a year in Sprint fees ;)

4. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

Frequently for me.

My work commute is about 2 hours each day, all via public transportation (train & bus). I surf on my phone heavily, during this time period. Then when I'm at work, we have wifi available but it is locked down and shackled with corporate handcuffs. Effectively it is unusable for recreational purposes.

So for me, the only time I have wifi for sure is when I'm at home.

Obviously your mileage may vary.

5. RedWingsFan

RedWingsFan Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

For me the Sprint signal at home is hit/miss. Upstairs in my living room its fine. Start heading back toward the kitchen and it can suffer. On the back deck its pretty low. In the basement its non-existent. So the WiFi will be a big + for me and I can ditch the iPod Touch for surfing on the go.

6. huss30

huss30 Member

I am around WiFi 98 percent of the time which makes me not care as much about not having 4G in Detroit