How multi-touch is the Desire?

Last Updated:

1. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How multitouch is the HTC Desire? I'd be getting an unlocked sim-free UK one.

I presently have the EU sim-free HTC Hero but I desire* an upgrade. It's an awesome phone but it only has multitouch for a few HTC specific pre-installed apps and not in Google Maps or any 3rd party apps. Is the Desire limited in the same way?

* Bwahahaha see what I did there? I bet I'm the first person every to make that joke! (sorry)

Advertisement
  2. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

Your not the first lol

I think until Google improves the multi-touch, it will be limited.

3. darrenj87

darrenj87 Member

Hey, so far it is working with maps very well... any specific application you want me to try it with?

4. Quboid

It works with Google Maps? Good.

There's a program on the market "Input Benchmark" which just lets you know some technical output including multitouch info. If it can read more than one point, I think it's safe to assume the Desire has as the full standard Android 2.0+ multitouch support, such as it is, and that any and all 3rd party apps that support multitouch (and an increasing number are) will have multitouch on the Desire.

On my semi-multitouch Hero with cupcake, its multitouch readout says "Touch the Screen. Multitouch not available." and pressing the screen only ever gives one position no matter how many simultaneous presses I do so it clearly doesn't have the standard Android implementation.

5. darrenj87

darrenj87 Member

Yeah, I meant Google Maps.. Yeah the multi-touch benchmark program says it detects 2 touches :)

Quboid likes this.
  6. Quboid

Excellent! Thanks, Darren. Just out of interest, how/where did you get your Desire so soon?

7. darrenj87

darrenj87 Member

I was out of contract. Ordered it the moment it became available on the T-mobile website, sent it to me on Friday and arrived sat :)

8. Quboid

Nice one! Are all the current Desire owners on T-Mobile? They're useless around here, their only 3G coverage in Northern Ireland is around Belfast, i.e. about 3% of the land and 20% of the population. I wouldn't go with them even if I lived near Belfast, that's pathetic coverage. Vodafone UK, O2 and Three have decent 3G coverage throughout most of the province.

9. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

The Desire has that calibration problem, the same as the N1. So I'd guess it uses the same screen (Clearpad 2000).

10. w00yee

w00yee Active Member

in your own test or according to some videos? I have watched those videos and still waiting for owners' review about that issue.

11. grainysand

According to user reports. I don't mean the crossing axes or whatever--that doesn't affect day-to-day use. I mean the calibration issue where occasionally you press a spot but the screen registers a touch elsewhere, usually far down the bottom half of the screen.

12. w00yee

w00yee Active Member

oh, no.. that sucks... waiting for more users' reports on that ...

13. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Greasy finger smudges does that ;)

14. apashton

apashton Member

Mutlitouch working great here, no calibration issues and ive played with it ALOT since i got it.

15. w00yee

w00yee Active Member

+1 so glad to hear that:p

16. CDA

CDA Member

can someone with a HTC LEGEND PLEASE try multitouch visible test and see how it goes!!!

17. PJD007

PJD007 Well-Known Member

Who in the HTC Desire forum also owns a LEGEND !?!?!

18. CDA

CDA Member

lol yeah i only realised that after a while so i posted on legend forum

19. jaspabt1

jaspabt1 Well-Known Member

Hi, been playing with my phone ALOT since i got it on Tuesday night. Not had any issues with touching on part of the screen and it registering elsewhere. Ive used alot of the drawing apps like magic marker etc with no problems.
    The crossing axes test that has been mentioned doesnt affect day to day use of the phone apart from when you want to play 2 player air hockey :eek: then it doesnt follow the touches very well

20. CDA

CDA Member

i reckon the screen calibration issue is only with the nexus one because of the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the screen. desire should have no such problems

21. grainysand

Au contraire, users of the Desire on xda have reported the same calibration problems. Doubt the capacitive buttons on the N1 affect touchscreen calibration, in any case, considering that even when my screen goes funny, the buttons will continue to work perfectly.

22. jaspabt1

jaspabt1 Well-Known Member

As above, there are defo calibration issues, but just not in every day use. I can live without my 2 player air hocker :p Everything else touchscreen wise works perfectly(pinch to zoom, key selection etc)

23. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

in general I'd say the calibration is spot on... I have had the odd moment when it doesn't fully register in the right place, but nothing to worry about--the accuracy on links when at full distance (i.e. tiny buttons) is spectacular! If anything, I'd say the calibration is almost too accurate as I can occasionally move the screen view without actually touching the screen... maybe it's become sentient? :confused::eek:

24. Quboid

I tried the test from that Nexus 1 video that showed the device getting confused and yeah, same thing on the Desire. It's yet to actually cause any problems in real usage. The only multitouch issue I've got is my hands/fingers holding the device press the edges of the screen accidentally.

25. The_Verse

The_Verse Well-Known Member

That happens to me all the time XD