how often do you charge?

Last Updated:

1. gazbut

gazbut Member This Topic's Starter

hi all
    my 1st smartphone!
    but
    i'm having to charge it almost everyday!
    is this normal?
    how is yours?
    cheers
    gazbut

Advertisement
  2. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

Hey there.

You'll find several long and informative threads on battery life on this forum. But the summary is... 1 - Yes, 24 hours of use for this type of phone is quite good, 2 - It will get better over the first week or two, and 3 - There are a lot of things you can do maximise your battery life (see other battery life threads).

3. tomq

tomq Well-Known Member

my desire last longer than my iphone did, i seem to get a days use out of my desire no matter what i do. where as my iphone would last until 4pm-6pm

4. Wookiee

Wookiee Active Member

My desire lasts about 24 hours. I use it throughout the day and have wifi on all the time at home. I'm not too fussed.
    My previous phone (Xperia X1) lasted almost 2 or 3 days, but I was hardly using it.

5. SurfXombie

SurfXombie Well-Known Member

It gets better with time.
    There are many ways to manage power usage but start with the Power Control widget already on your HTC Desire.

6. frogger

frogger Member

i get about 4 days out of mine , the main thing i do is at night just before i go to bed i go to power options and disconnect the mobile network (this just disables all internet apps) , the phone still works as a phone and i don't get any notifications (internet based) in the middle of the night waking me up

7. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

:-o ...you get four days?? That's quite impressive. I could probably get two days out of mine, if I didn't ever surf the web or phone with it.

8. TheOriginalKi

TheOriginalKi Member

I've had mine for 13 days and I've never once got a full day out of it. I wouldn't even say I was a very heavy user... maybe medium-slightly heavy. :(

9. Lol mahmood

Lol mahmood Well-Known Member

I could probably last a day on one charge, but prefer to play safe and pop it on charge whenever practical. This is not my first smartphone, and so far i'm not impressed by the battery life. I'd say it's a bit below the average compared to other similar phones, but i'm hoping that successive firmware updates will improve it.

10. marcjohnson

marcjohnson Well-Known Member

Are these the same batteries as the G1, Lio something?

If so it's better to charge them more often after the initial few days of letting the charge run out.

That's what I was told when i got that phone, the batteries can't be knackered like standard batteries.

11. Tokiodroid

Tokiodroid Member

I charge everyday, but I am able to surf the web and read eBooks as much as I want.
    That's not bad!

12. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

every day, my phone is my media/entertainment/games/news hub tho ;)

Tokiodroid likes this.
  13. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

I have had mine for almost 3 weeks now. I get very good battery life out of it compared to my last few smart phones. I work in a bad reception area, so reception seeking works hard for most of the day. My travel time to and from work is 1,5 hours each way, so during this time I use it for media (Video & MP3). Have the Wifi on only in my hotel and have data off permanently while I am working away from home for a 2 month contract in India. I Have the screen on minimum Brightness from sunset & auto during the day. I mainly work at night. Either way - My phone has just gone on charge having 9% left after 60 hours & 58 min since last charge/plugged in.

14. marshalex

marshalex Well-Known Member

i charge mine up once every couple of days and thats with medium - high usage, music player to and from work, push email over wifi at work and home (exchange and gmail) wifi on all day, facebook checks every hour or so, rss feeds, odd bit of browsing and some games. fairly impressed with it considering how much i use it

15. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Same here.

Why risk having a half dead battery the following day?

16. dunbad

dunbad Well-Known Member

I'm an ex iPhone user and class myself as a heavy user. Until the past few days I swore down my battery in the desire was RUBBISH. I had to charge twice a day, and was very disappointed indeed. I thought the iPhone got me maybe 25 percent more use. However, somehow after 3 weeks of use, somehow my desire has decided to give me a great return from the battery! Why after 3 weeks use I've got no idea, but that's what's happened. Maybe it was after I let the battery die completely? I don't know. From this last charge, I got 34. 33hrs use and 5hrs 14 mins of up time of which a good 90 mins of that was on YouTube. The rest was browsing the net. And I've got 22 percent remaining! That is better than iPhone.

17. microserfs

microserfs Well-Known Member

I'm getting just about 40-48 hours now but thats with medium usage (turn wifi and 3G off most of the time if not using it). Use games a couple of hours or youtube for a little while etc, plus turn 3G off a couple of hours or so a day...

I don't know if it'll get any better if I keep letting the battery run down completely all the time, but that's what I've done for all the times I've been charging it. I have to say its better than when I first got it, couldn't even get six hours out of it without it running out of battery. 48 hours has to be quite impressive really for me at the moment! Got the power control app running as well...

18. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member

Is it ideal to let it run right down though? I read somewhere online that these battery's don't like that so much...

Not sure if that is true though.

19. Eugene's Mac

Eugene's Mac Well-Known Member

20. jarul

jarul Member

similar to what i read few years ago, i dont understand why people still think they need to charge for 8hrs-24hrs first time. when a full charge will be fine. and as for running it down, once a month is fine.

as for my charging, its at least once a day. but it got better after three days, cos at first it seemed like i was charging twice a day.

21. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

i just leave mine charging overnight, and thats enough, even with very heavy use.

22. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Interesting article about batteries and android here