How often do you clear your RAM?General

Last Updated: 2011-09-27 08:49:00
  1. Remeniz

Remeniz Well-Known Member

Just wanted to know how often you clear RAM on your S2? I'm doing it subconsciously now, a few times a day, and I wonder is it actually necessary?

Advertisement
  2. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Nah not really necessary.

I just restart my phone if it has any problems and that usually sorts it.
  3. Remeniz

Thanks for the reply.

I just think that because the option is there I use it. I'll try to forget it and see what effect it has on the phone.
  4. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

I do it all the time, pretty much when ever I close an app.

I don't like operating systems and apps doing naughty things in the background.
  5. Remeniz

... Which is kinda why I do it too.

I guess what I really want to know is if I leave my phone to it's own devices will it clear the RAM itself or will it fill up until a crash?
  6. XLAR8

XLAR8 Member

i friends at work got SG2 and kept complaining about battery and every time she would finish using an app she had a hole thing of pushing buttons (clearing task manager, ram caches and so on) i told her to stop doing that and she said the battery is fine now.
  7. adamantell

adamantell Well-Known Member

I do it 3-4 times a day keeps your battery life as less programs running in background less data being send randomly etcetc
  8. Remeniz

Ok....

So will apps close completely when I exit them or do I need to use the Clear RAM button to end those apps?
  9. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

It also forces all your homescreen widgets to reload, so be aware of this before clearing RAM as depending on the widgets, they may invoke a data connection on startup
  10. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Never. Not neccessary IMO.
  11. matttye

matttye Well-Known Member

Android is really good at managing its' own memory and tasks.. seriously, task killers cause more problems than they solve.
  12. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

Never, it's nice to have the option there but I've never needed to use it.

I’ve seen no evidence to prove ending a task manually causes problems.
  13. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Never. I've never needed to.
  14. Remeniz

Well after the replies here it seems I was using it un necessarily so i'll stop using it.

;)
  15. Remeniz

Just reporting back to say it's been 2 days since I last used the 'Clear memory' button and the phone is managing it's RAM as it should.

So don't bother using the button unless you really need to... Although I don't know when/if you would need to use it at all....