How often do you need to *228 update?

Last Updated:

1. yzingerr

yzingerr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

How often are you supposed to *228 update your phone on verizon? I been told once a month, and even once every six months.

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I have never done it at all....

3. Crush_Buds

Crush_Buds Well-Known Member

I'd do it once a month. It doesn't really hurt to try and you never know when verizon has updated/built new service towers.

4. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

OK, so after you enter the VZW programming interface, is there a set of steps you perform, or just run through the normal 'program your phone' routine?

5. DaygosDankest

DaygosDankest Well-Known Member

I don't even know what the hell that is, anyone want to explain?

6. Berry2Droid

Berry2Droid Well-Known Member

Easy way > *22899 send.

Or *228 opt.1 same thing

It updates any newly built towers in the area..If your in a busy/metro area there will basially never be updates.

7. spazma7ik

spazma7ik Well-Known Member

Isn't it Option 2?

8. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

Its *228 option 2 and it updates the roaming capabilities/towers as stated. You are supposed to do it every 30 days...

9. yzingerr

It is a way for verizon to update your phone with the latest build software and increase reception if there are additional cell towers within range. I suggest you do this update before you leave for a place with limited cell range (i found out the hard way that you should update before going away from cell towers.. i had no reception when other people i was with had several bars on their identical phones/carrier)

10. karib

karib Well-Known Member

I second that!!!:confused::confused:

11. VeryApe

VeryApe Well-Known Member

Any info from Verizon that says this is supposed to be done every 30 days? I don't remember my rep telling me this when I switched from ATT to Verizon...

12. HardCache

HardCache Well-Known Member

I've never had a rep tell me this when buying a phone, but I have seen it help first hand. I've seen people who had a phone for a long time that basically lost sync. They would get txt messages several hours after they were sent, and not always have good coverage. Used a *228, and everything righted itself.

I don't know if it needs done as frequently as every 30 days, but it also won't hurt.

13. Droidophile

Droidophile Well-Known Member

From Verizon's site:

Just to dispel myths about OTA (*228) programming Options

What does it do? 3 things, and 3 things ONLY.
    1) Programs your phone, including your MTN, MIN, and Home SID (represents where you live, and what your home switch is)
    2) Downloads Preferred Roaming List, so that your phone will automatically know what network to use when you are not using your home SID.
    3) (newer option) you can change your own ESN... just call it from the phone you "want to use" and tell it your phone number... pretty slick!!

Things you should and should not do:
    You SHOULD; occasionally update your Preferred Roaming list, From your HOME AREA or another VZW coverage area
    You SHOULD NOT; dial *228 in an extended network area. (another carrier's towers) It is totally unnecessary (and honestly a little dangerous) to do this when you reach your destination city.

The endless "beating a dead horse" thread continues here: Just to dispel myths about OTA (*228) programming - Verizon | Forums and Blogs - Verizon Community

14. IamReady

IamReady Well-Known Member

I am the phone admin for my company and we have 82 devices on Verizon. I send out a reminder every 90 days to our folks to remind them to dial *228 option 2 to update their device and roaming capabilities...

15. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Go Go Gadget Flow! VIP Member

I do have to apologize. Its supposed to be done every 90 days. personally I do it once a month so I dont forget , and there is no harm in doing so, it just keeps your PRL up to date.

Answers to FAQs

16. yzingerr

What makes it "dangerous"?