How often do you turn your phone OFF?

1. musikat

musikat Well-Known Member

For the first week I turned my phone off every night to charge and back on in the morning. The last several days or so I have left it on, charging while on for only a few hours as needed (I have been getting great battery life 24-48 hours, albeit with light use so I was doing it in part to test that). I had an old flip phone before this that I hardly ever turned off, but I was wondering if there is any harm in always leaving a smart phone on? I wouldn't do that to my laptop, so is it okay to do this or should I let it power down and "rest" more to conserve the electronics and the battery?

Advertisement
  2. THEFORCE

THEFORCE Well-Known Member

charging it while off is the best way to charge it...ive had much better battery life doing that
  3. Fubie

Fubie Well-Known Member

I run my phone for 5 or 6 days charging at night only and pulling the phone off of the charger when I get up at 5:00 A.M. My phone is doing great with general web surfing, texting, e-mailing and other uses all day long I generally have 70-75% charge at 4:30 P.M. and 45-50% by 10 P.M.
  4. Kelita

Kelita Well-Known Member

I never turn my phone off. I've had quite a few smartphones through the years and never turned them off and have never had a problem. Interesting about the battery life though but I'm afraid to turn mine off in case there's a family emergency and I get a call.
  5. SoFLO

SoFLO Guest

I turn my phone off every night
  6. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

Turn mine off every night, although I never charge it during the night while asleep....not after finding out about the weird battery charging problems.
  7. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

Never.
  8. ThatNewAndroidGuy

ThatNewAndroidGuy Well-Known Member

Same, I never do. Just plug it in the charger over night. Don't have any battery problems.
  9. NeoEVO

NeoEVO Well-Known Member

Always on.
  10. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

it shuts off???:p
    sallybb74 likes this.
  11. ddanny82

ddanny82 Active Member

never, ever!
  12. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

Do you guys(gals) think that it might be a good idea to shut if off for a few mins and turn it back on occationaly? I was just thinking this may "clear" the RAM. Just a thought, any input is appreciated. Thanks.
  13. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Well-Known Member

I personally think that is a good idea. Plus, I believe this is the way it is with all cell phone companies, unless you turn it off and then back on, you never get "over the air" updates (the automatic ones). This could be a load of crap, but AT&T always harped at me about doing that if I wanted to make sure I got all of the OTA updates their network had to provide. I have no idea if it's actually true, nor if it is, whether all cell phone companies require the same thing. :confused:
  14. Kelita

Kelita Well-Known Member

I do this every few days when I notice my gmail not pushing immediately and it seems to clear things up. I also do it when I install/uninstall apps to give them a fresh start. I noticed when I installed something the other day, it didn't show up until I rebooted it.
  15. tardmobile

tardmobile Well-Known Member

not emptyquoting ITT
  16. vgsantiago

vgsantiago Well-Known Member

You can always go in periodically and check for OTA updates
  17. gear.h34d.2012

gear.h34d.2012 Well-Known Member

It all depends on if I feel like it.
  18. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

I reset my phone at least once a day and usually turn it off wile charging
  19. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

It's not a problem, it's a feature. :) ...and I'm not being sarcastic.
  20. archercc

archercc Well-Known Member

21. ryohei47

ryohei47 Well-Known Member

i turn it off about once a week, try not to do it too often because unrevoked and the cdma auto trick doesnt stick
  22. FATTYBOMBASTIC

FATTYBOMBASTIC New Member

i just got a sony ericson xperia arc s and i was wondering if leaving it on all night and day... or never turning it off could damage it, ive been looking into some further research and cant seem to find anythin giving me a straight answer.
  23. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

You can leave phones on. There isnt an issue doing it.
  24. brianvillage5

brianvillage5 Well-Known Member

You don't want to leave your phone on a charger all night turned off, the phone needs to be on to regulate how much voltage it gets. I don't leave my phone on the charger all night regardless. I charge of till it hits 100 then I reboot it on the charger and when it powers back on I pull it off. That way I don't over charge it, but I run SBC mod. I don't have any actual proof of any of this its just How I feel about it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-3