How often do you turn your phone OFF?

1. kencrudup

kencrudup Well-Known Member

Apparently.
  2. gmjlopez

gmjlopez Well-Known Member

I only shut mine off on the plane, just cause I use my tablet. Otherwise I reboot once a week.
  3. kct1975

kct1975 Well-Known Member

I turn mine off every night at bed time and leave it on charge it all night. My battery does not seem to charge fully unless it is turned off. Also if I do not turn it off on a regular basis, it tends to freeze on me.
  4. Rube8514

Rube8514 Well-Known Member

I restart my phone and take my battery out every 48 to 72 hours. It seems to fix any errors that are occuring and wipes the HTC white screen. It sucks to do all the time but really is the only thing that works for me.
  5. sleedeane

sleedeane Well-Known Member

I only re-boot it if it seems something isn't right or it seems a little slow, maybe once every 2 or 3 days.

I don't know what the best charging practice is.
    I charge it when the battery gets down to about 20%, during the day so I can unplug it when it tells me it's fully charged.

Question: Is it true that it's good practice to completely drain the battery once a week?
    Is it good practice to do a periodic battery pull, and if so, why?

Thank-you.
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

You don't have to do either of those things.

A battery pull can help clear up issues people are having, but if your not having any issues theres no need to do it.
    ocnbrze and sleedeane like this.
  7. kencrudup

A battery pull is only necessary when your phone as locked up, and unnecessary otherwise.
    sleedeane likes this.
  8. kct1975

Just wanted to say that I completely agree.

Regular battery pulls are only needed for Blackberrys.
  9. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Well-Known Member

I haven't turned it off in a while. I do "restart" it every blue moon, but shut off no.
  10. sleedeane

In another forum (AndroidCentral), the general consensus is:
    It's okay to use your phone with it on the charger pretty much always without any negative side effects, and it's good to completely drain the battery once a month.
  11. SoulTerror

SoulTerror Well-Known Member

Wait you can turn them off???

j/k!!! I only turn mine off when it acts up or the battery dies.
  12. kct1975

Just am update from me...

As I previously mentioned, I turn my HTC EVO off ever night.
    I found the way to disable the Fastboot option, and I have found that my EVO is actually more stable. Granted, it does start-up slower in the morning when I turn it on, but I can live with that.

So, my personal recommendation is disabling the Fastboot, and turning off the phone nightly is best. For me, anyways, it improves the charging and battery life, automaticly clears the cashe and makes the phone more stable.
  13. kct1975

Just my opinion...I would recommend disabling the Fastboot option. Then turn your phone off regularly. To me, it seems to work similar to a battery pull.
  14. kct1975

Not sure, but every time I try to use my EVO while it is connected to the charger it acts up or freezes on me. I have got to making sure I disconnect my phone from the charger when using it.
    I must admit, though, that I have never used the charger that came with my HTC EVO, so I have no idea if that makes a difference.
  15. The only time mine is off is when it dies
  16. Kinda sounds mobsterish
  17. ZepTepi

ZepTepi Well-Known Member

I never turn mine off for extended periods. I'm a salaried manager at work and have to be accessible at all times so it stays on at night. I also use the Sleepy Time app at night while the phone charges. I do cycle the power every 2-3 days as well.
  18. Mo MURda

Mo MURda Member

Military phone needs to be on 24/7. Speaking of that whats up with the long boot time?
  19. kencrudup

Boot time's irrelevant when it's never expected to be turned off, of course.
  20. sleedeane

I have proof, kinda'.
    Warranty is replacing my S2 because the entire keyboard is burnt onto the screen.
    "Ronnie", from Samsung (I think it was a computer) whom I live-chatted with last night, never heard of this problem.
    But, when I pushed for "Ronnie's" supervisor, "Daniel" attributed this to over-charging.

Then today, I called Samsung, and spoke with a "technician". I could tell this was a real person because computers don't have middle-east accents.
    Anyway, he said this is the first time he has heard of such a thing. It's not a known issue with Samsung or whoever makes their amoleds.
    He said my phone is a fluke, or I am over-charging it. He went into a heavily-accented spiel of technical jargon on why one has to do with the other, of which I understood nil of.

Anyway, that's twice I was told what over-charging CAN do.

FWIW
  21. kct1975

I still say if you shut off the phone and charge it over night, you cannot over charge the phone.
  22. kencrudup

... and you'd be right. (I'm still trying to figure out what "the entire keyboard is burnt onto the screen" means, too.)
    kct1975 likes this.
  23. kct1975

Just my two cents...

I seem to getting better performance on my phone by doing the following...

I have gone into the setting and disabled the 'Fast Boot' option.

At bed time I shut the phone down, connect it to the charger.

By disabling the 'Fast Boot' option, the phone charges better, and the phone runs more stable.
  24. 06dc5

06dc5 Member

Too popular to turn off my phone at night. :D
  25. 92EG8

92EG8 Member

Only time I turn my phone off is if I'm flashing a rom. I always keep it on other then that because its my alarm clock plus I'm using a sbc kernel.