How old is your phoneSupport

1. hi2uuk

hi2uuk Member

Can someone post a picture showing where the proximity sensor on a htc desire phone is, please

Should i clean it as my htc desire screen looks a bit grubby from the adhesive on the screen protector ?

What should i clean it the screen with ?

I ask these because when i make a call the screen remains black so i cant access the menus to end my calls. On reading the forums it seems that this may be due to the screen protector covering the proximity sensor. I have removed the protector but the phone screen looks a bit grubby so i want to clean it up a bit :D:D

im just wondering when i should think about replacing my htc desire phone, its recently been having problems with the screen staying black during calls so im now wondering if its getting a bit old. How old is yours ? ive had mine about 3 years

Advertisement
    :
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Hello hi2uuk. If the screen is remaining black when the device is not close to your face as during a call, it is likely in need of a screen cleaning up at the top where the proximity sensor is located. That sensor could be obscured enough that it "thinks" you've moved the phone to your ear and has blanked the screen to prevent accidental touching of an icon or other link on the screen.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

And while it may feel like 3 years, the Desire has actually only been out for slightly less than 2 :)

This information is useful because HTC give a 2 year warranty on the Desire - at this moment they are still in warranty, but that will start to change shortly.
  4. Frisco

The sensor is near the top. Just wipe off the whole screen with a soft, dry, clean cloth. ;)
  5. hi2uuk

hi2uuk Member

i should correct this, i bought the phone in july 2010 so it isnt 3 years yet. I was going to use some soapy water, is that bad ? and where exactly is this sensor though :(
  6. Frisco

Soapy water on your phone? :eek:

I'd never do that. Just use a clean, dry, soft cloth such as is used on eyeglasses or tv screens.

The sensor, as mentioned before, is very near the top edge of the screen on Android devices. It's a tiny little thing about the size of the head of a small nail or pin. Again, just wipe off the whole screen.
  7. Hadron

Water is always bad for electronics (and invalidates the warranty). Clean it as Frisco suggests.

The sensor in in the black strip above the screen.

Edit: I'm too slow! :)
  8. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Black strip where the HTC logo is. Left of thlogo, just over half way between the logo and the left edge of the black border
  9. hi2uuk

hi2uuk Member

OK i have put on a new screen protector and cut it so that it doesnt go on the black bit where the logo is, im surprised these screen protector manufacturers dont produce the correct size. i also gave the screen a little wipe :) Fingers crossed that this will do the trick
  10. Hadron

My phone is as old as yours and has never had a screen protector. There's one very tiny scratch on the glass, but you have to know where to look to find it.
  11. SUroot

Mines 2 yearsold in May. Got a couple of inconsequencial scratches. Never been able to even fit a screen protector. Even paid someone in a shop and they made a mess of it.
  12. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

Same here, two yrs in may. I have had several screen protectors. Best i ever managed was two small air bubbles. just think they're impossible. :)
  13. SUroot

Totally...
  14. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Well-Known Member

Pah! I have had a screen protector since day 1 and you wouldn't know I had one on unless you looked for it. However I also use a silicone case which is slightly unattractive. But I've grown to accept it aesthetics wise.. Kept my phone in almost flawless condition as well.
    I just know I'd grumble a lot louder should I ding/scratch my casing or screen. I'm like an over protective father with his child. :p