How quickly do you think EVO will get rooted?

Last Updated:

1. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

do we expect the processor to use its max rate unlike the hero which had a threshold below its max???

I'm wondering if rooting will let you bypass the service charge add-on for using the hotspot capability of EVO. Any idea of the range of the wifi? I mean, could it possibly be comparable to a linksys router?

Also wonder how PDAnet will work.

Advertisement
  2. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

you won't need PDANet... there's a couple apps that I use with the Desire ROM on my Nexus - don't know if they are HTC specific or not... called Wireless Tethering (basically allows you to tether via WiFi - quite awesome and stable), and Wired Tethering (basically USB tethering - doesn't work on macs btw)...

I bet it gets rooted from day 1... there is bound to be some leaked ROMs of it unleashed soon if not already in the dev community...

look at how early the Desire ROM was available (as a leak) for the Nexus... still in Alpha phase, but still... gave a headstart... EVO should be similar...

3. dtokarz

dtokarz Active Member

4. dylan88

dylan88 Well-Known Member

yea no doubt it will be rooted on day 1. there is always someone somewhere that does it.

5. Autosuggestion

Autosuggestion Well-Known Member

I'd give it a week tops.

6. cabbie

cabbie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

so ya think it will be able to be able to be a hotspot no problem once rooted?

7. neodorian

neodorian Well-Known Member

They tend to get rooted fast. Being a new version of Android it might take a little longer but I have no idea what will be changed and how that will affect the rooting effort.

8. Covert_Death

Covert_Death Well-Known Member

it'll be a hotspot out of the box for 4g/3g why would you worry about rooting it for that

9. talz13

talz13 Well-Known Member

Since supposedly there will be a $10-20 monthly charge for the official hotspot usage:mad:

10. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

keyword here is "official" :p

root it and you are good to go...

i don't know how differing this whole "wifi hotspot" this is compared with the "Wireless Tethering" app that I am using on my rooted Nexus w/ Desire ROM from MoDaCo, but the app was something released by Google, not some 3rd party thing... so surely once the EVO gets rooted, it will be able to at least use this app (and not have to pay 10-20$ a month)... I haven't tested to see how many devices it supports... since I only have a single wifi device myself (my laptop)... but i'll and see if it can support multiple...

what's cool too is that you can customize the transmit power, so as to either keep the range smaller to avoid people around hopping on (you can set access control too, so you can block anyone from using it unless you accept them), or also to save battery power...

info about that app...

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

11. neodorian

Because having root access to a device is good for more than tethering. Lots of us like to think of these as personal computers, not static appliances that are set in stone. It's cool to be able to tweak things and enable different features than the stock device has.

12. Bek

Bek Well-Known Member

2 days tops...

13. twospirits

twospirits AF's janitor Moderator

I'm surprised it hasn't already. Being that a few test phones are out in the wild and i am sure one or two are xda super hackers. lol

TS

14. travisr528

travisr528 Well-Known Member

Didn't those guys at xda have a custom rom for the nexus one before it's release? This phone will be rooted, hacked whatever you want to call it, by day two for sure.

15. jmarkso

jmarkso Member

So, if the Evo can be rooted, it can run say Cyonegen or any other ROM?

I ask because I had nexus one, returned to wait and see what comes up soon, and I freaking loved it, and loved 2.1.

So not sure how I would feel about being perm stuck with Sense UI.

16. reallynotnick

reallynotnick Well-Known Member

17. Oridus

Oridus Well-Known Member

I don't see it taking very long. These developers are very good these days.

18. Hiruzen

Hiruzen Member

Can someone explain to me what 'rooted' is?

19. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

I would imagine it will be rooted before it is even released or in the first few days just like the N1.

20. neodorian

In Unix/Linux type OSes, the "root" user or "superuser" has access to pretty much all files and functions of the OS. There may be things you cannot access or change via the default user account but when you gain root access, you can do pretty much whatever you want to the OS and system settings.

There are certain programs and applications that can only work if you install them as "root" since they require you to access, alter, or install certain system files.

21. Hiruzen

Hiruzen Member

So its like 'hacking' or the equivalent to Jailbraking for iPhones?

I thought the point of an open-source platform (Android) got rid of the need to do such things.

22. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

carriers and manufacturers choose to lock them down because with root access you can basically do anything including deleting core apps and for lack of a better word screw up your phone hardcore. rooting needs to be somewhat hard to do otherwise every tom dick and harry would be bricking.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

23. neodorian

Well, just because something is open-source doesn't mean you are operating as superuser all the time. It's a terrible security risk and the reason why pretty much any modern OS requires approval before executing something as root/superuser/admin/whatever.

Think of it more like having multiple accounts on a computer. This could be a closed-source OS like Mac OS or Windows or it could be more open like Linux or FreeBSD. There will be user accounts as well as a "root" account. Users who know the root password can do anything whereas someone logged into an account with lower user privileges will not have access to all system files, functions, etc.

It doesn't change the fact that the source code is open for perusal and alteration. It just means that when running, the OS is designed to restrict access to things based on your privileges. Rooting a device means figuring out a way to get root access.

24. Hiruzen

Hiruzen Member

I understand.

25. ajac09

ajac09 Banned

isnt 2.1 technically already rooted? so wont take long for the evo I give it 24 hours at most.