How Quickly will GPS Drain the Battery?

Last Updated:

1. chrissybabes

chrissybabes New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm interested in this phone for use with ViewRanger - a GPS app and my question is .....

If I switch off everything apart from the GPS and an app that uses GPS, how long would a fully charged battery last?

Many thanks

Chris

Advertisement
  2. gie62001

gie62001 Well-Known Member

can't say about using ViewRaner app for GPS as i'm using Navigon MobileNavigator, which is very accurate and actually very good for navigation. and i'm getting around 7-8 hours (London-Scotland) but this is with everything on (GPS, HSDPA (3G), a bit of music, some calls, background on). but this was using a phone after only two weeks.
    so i assume the battery would last longer now. so all in all the battery for me is more than enough, or get a micro usb car charger if you're navigating in the car.

chrissybabes likes this.
  3. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

I used MyTracks to record 2 hours bike ride and it only drained 15% of battery, which is phenomenal compared to G1 as it would have not even lasted that long probably.

chrissybabes likes this.
  4. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

Echo the above. Used MyTracks for a 3.5 hour walk last week and it used around 40% of the battery. A lot of the time I was in forests so am not sure how much that affects battery life. Switched on the unit maybe once every 15 minutes to check speed, distance etc. for around a minute. One thing I did notice was my wife's X10 with the same software had us walking around 1/3rd of a mile further (10 mile walk) so maybe the antenna is more sensitive in the X10? Everything else (mail, widgets, Twitter etc) were all working as usual in the background.

chrissybabes likes this.
  5. Karolis

Karolis Well-Known Member

I think it's purely circumstantial. Try adjusting accuracy in the settings.

6. GrenW

GrenW Well-Known Member

Just had a look at google maps on my pc and loaded up the map/trail MyTracks made for me. It must be fairly accurate as it showed where I deviated from the trail for a.....ahem.....'natural break'