how risky is 2.1?Support

Last Updated:

1. topher_csr

topher_csr Active Member This Topic's Starter

so i have been looking at all the videos on youtube of the hacked phones with 2.1 on them, i was wondering how sketchy doing the install is? i dont want to lock up my phone and not have sprint be able to fix it. so what i am wondering is it advisable for someone to attempt putting 2.1 on their phone who has never done anything like this? i am pretty tech savy, but it seems tough to do. i know there is a good write up on how to do it. but i dont know what the risks are. any help on this one would be great. also how long would it take to do the update. thanks

Advertisement
  2. dwolf312

dwolf312 Well-Known Member

It's really not that hard at all very simple and quick, and easy to revert back to 1.5. It maybe takes between 5 - 20 mins to do so not too long. Risks are slim if you follow directions and not do anything your not suppose too. Personlly myelf I've never done it before the 2.1 leak and since then I've walked several others through the process.

3. ramiss

ramiss Well-Known Member

There is very little permanent risk to the phone. Even if you have a power loss half way through the flash you can still get back into download mode to start over.

The worst thing that can happen is that you reset your phone back to stock and have to re-install the apps etc.

4. topher_csr

will my phone numbers automatically be backed up to the web? i think i am going to give it a shot.

5. ramiss

ramiss Well-Known Member

If you are syncing everything to your google account (or some other account like exchange) then yes.

The easiest way to make sure is to login to your google account with a browser. Everything in there will be transferred back to the phone after you flash and login again.

6. topher_csr

ok so i have been at this for a little bit and i downloaded the updater, and the rom. unzipped it and have the .tar file out. but i cannot find the samsung electronics folder in my program files. any ideas why i cant find that folder? there is a samsung file, but it has random stuff in it. not sure what thats about.

7. ramiss

ramiss Well-Known Member

Well:

1. Did you install the Sprint Update Tool?

2. Did you install it in the default location on drive C or some other. If it is some other then you will need to search for the folder there.

Those are really the only two reasons you wouldn't be able to find it.

Here is a link to the complete instructions:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/62674-how-install-2-1-root-dummys.html

8. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

I wouldn't consider it sketchy at all its also a huge improvement over 1.5

9. topher_csr

got it all figured out. took a little longer because i had to install some drivers for windows 7. the user who posted that video for the drivers is awesome. as is this site. you all rock. thanks.

10. numus

numus Banned

Trust me.. we brick our phones tens to hundreds of times a day before we release anything to the "general" public... As long as we aren't screwing with pbl, sbl or modem.bin (bml1, bml2 and bml9) there is pretty much nothing you can do to this phone that cant be fixed by a flash back to stock

11. duratime

duratime Well-Known Member

I think that the biggest risk is that you'll be kicking yourself for not updating it earlier.