• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How safe is it to use Rom Manger?

mrblue332

Feb 24, 2011
I'm new to rooting but I have a couple of questions. I'm scared to use Rom Manager because my old droid i downloaded a bad rom and i could never get past Welcome to Android because it kept crashing. I tried to fix it and nothing worked. I did everything right. I want to use Rom Manager again but i heard that it doesnt work with one click roots. I used Superoneclick

My second question is about CPU.
I have the CPU app and i think i over clocked my droid
It's a little bit faster now

Do you guys have any tips?

I know what an nandroid backup is

Well if you you clockwork mod recovery. Just make sure your rom zip file is in the root directory of your sd card. Then tjrn off phone and do the hold x and power button to get in to recovery. Clear out your cache and then install zip. Find your rom zip and click it.

Upvote 0
I'm asking this question because the last time I loaded a rom i could never get past the welcome to Android because it would crash on me. I tried to fix it but nothing really happend. Still had the same issue. I'm scared to use Rom Manger again but I want to use Roms again. and I just want to change the battery also to light blue

Upvote 0
I'm asking this question because the last time I loaded a rom i could never get past the welcome to Android because it would crash on me. I tried to fix it but nothing really happend. Still had the same issue. I'm scared to use Rom Manger again but I want to use Roms again. and I just want to change the battery also to light blue

ROM Manager has never caused me a problem. I have used it and Clockwork Recovery to install ROMs. Others have posted that they have had problems so I don't know what else to say.

If you do get it realize that you should still research the ROMs before downloading and installing them. Some of the ones offered are older. If you do get it I would pay for the premium version. I have like using it for backups and installing the more well known ROMs offered.

Upvote 0
That kind of solved my problem a little bit. But i don't know what happend to my old phone that did that. I was having issues with the rom where it would freeze on me and i would have to do battery pulls. I like the bugless beasts the best because I don't have any issues with them. I only used the old rom because it had a light blue battery. I just want a light blue battery or a nice looking rom. I used the free verison of Rom Manger and I did everything right
\The error I was getting when I was rebooting my phone and i came to the How to use Android or something like that and when I went to use it there was an error message saying Force close and it would keep saying that. I tried everything to fix it.

Upvote 0
i personally would never use rom manager,especially after some of the thigns ive read. i came from the eris,where rom manager wasnt really an option,so im quite used to flashing,making backups,etc. its not complicated top do it that way,im not sure why people shy away from it.

if you check md5 sums of the roms you download,and flash them yourself in recovery following the developers directions,the odds are significantly less youll have an issue.

my 2 cents :)

Upvote 0
Most of us install ROMs in Recovery. It is just as fast and a lot more reliable. Download the ROM of your choice to the PC and move it to your SD card (preferably the root, but it's not vital). Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery (or SPRecovery) using x+power and "wipe data/factory reset"... the more times you wipe the better IMHO. Select "Install zip from SD card" and "Choose zip". Navigate to your ROM and install.

MAKE A BACKUP FIRST! :)

EDIT: I DO use ROM Manager, but it's only to name my backups. I have only ever used it to install a ROM once.

Upvote 0
The Welcome to Android thing indicates that you successfully wiped data. When you flash a ROM and then update the same ROM no wipe is needed. For example, going from CM7 nightly to nightly, no wipe should be required. Going from CM7 to Ultimate Droid, you should wipe. If you keep data across different ROMs you open the door to software conflicts and force closes all over the place.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones