How scratch resistant is the screen?General

Last Updated:

1. Trojita

Trojita Active Member This Topic's Starter

I haven't found a defining answer on this. I now expect most touch screen smart phones now being made to be made out of an almost unscratchable glass display. I keep hearing from some reviews that the screen scratches really easy. I haven't found a definitive answer on this anywhere and planned on purchasing this as my 1st ever smart phone tomorrow.

Anyone know?

Advertisement
  2. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

There's a video review somewhere of an individual trying to scratch it. They're unable to with keys and a knife. On the other hand I've read reviews where they said it scratched easily.
    I'm very curious. My 2yr old iPhone doesn't have the slightest scratch on the glass. Its obviously very scratch resistant. My G1 has lots of scratches and seems more like ordinary glass.

3. 5thElement

5thElement Banned

Does it really matter? You're going to use a screen protector on it right?.....RIGHT???

4. Jarpee

Jarpee Well-Known Member

Speaking of...... What is a good screen protector to use?

5. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

I've never used a screen protector in 2 yrs of constant use of my iPhone. I'd rather not use one on the Incredible either. Especially if it changes the feel of the screen at all. Its a touch screen and I'll be using it a lot.

6. Reddog80p

Reddog80p Well-Known Member

Can someone link a to DI scratch test vid? I've seen the nexus scratch vids but not a DI vid. I'd rather not use a screen protector. For those of you that have used screen protectors are there any that provide protection without ANY dulling/washing out brightness of the display?

7. Mjcanton

Mjcanton Well-Known Member

Can never be to safe, that's what I always say. Sure, a protector may feel a little "sticky" but that is only when you press hard - That is totally not needed. I have owned Zagg skins a few times and I use them because I know they work well - I prefer them over best skin ever. What i REALLY want to try is Wrapsol, but they haven't made a skin for the Inc yet

8. hornyhippo

hornyhippo Well-Known Member

You're probably referring to the motorola droid scratch test video on youtube.

9. Trojita

Trojita Active Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone see any updates on this?

10. Eshyn

Eshyn Well-Known Member

SGP Steinheil but it hasn't been released yet.

And as far as scratch resistance goes.. Well, I'm not taking any chances. I just applied a Verizon screen protector which I will have on until I can get an anti-glare Steinheil.

11. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

i've missed the reviews that said it was easily scratched....can you link me?

12. CatsTide

is that verizon screen protector for the entire screen or just the touch portion? does it have a cutout for the speaker?

13. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

The speaker is on the back, the mic is on the bottom.

Edited: The ear speaker at the top is cut out, i just realized what you meant.

14. CatsTide

so it does cover the full front right? i read someone say it didn't...

15. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

I don't know but from the pics it looks like it does. I'll know tomorrow when my unit shows up, i'm pretty sure it does. Sorry i can't give you a definate answer :/

16. FrozenIpaq

FrozenIpaq Well-Known Member

From the pictures the Verizon Wireless Screen Protector only protects the screen and not the face of the phone.

When it comes to a screen protector, don't buy an expensive one like Zagg (I personally hate the extra drag that the Zagg ones give on your finger). Initially I'm going to just cut-down a screen protector I got off Ebay for my Viliv S5 and wait until a company comes out with a smooth full-body protector. All those that require you to use a special solution = suck.

You don't need to buy an expensive, top brand screen protector. Just like expensive HDMI cables, it's unnecessary and a waste of money in my opinion.

17. lgldrgdlr

lgldrgdlr Well-Known Member

I've had my eris since january. Put a screen protector on it for about 2 weeks. Been naked since and don't have one scratch. My guess is it'll be just as durable.

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

18. greenrolaids

greenrolaids Well-Known Member

ive never used a screen protector on my phones, see my history.

The only problem i have ever had with scratching my phone has been my ppc6800.

But it was working in a really dusty environment. The fine dirt dust was from an equipment yard i worked in, and even though i worked in the office, the fine dust slowly caused my screen to get real fine scratch marks that were mostly visible in the sunlight. Which made it very hard to read in the bright daylight.

Id rather not deal with a membrane on top of my touch screen, unless im working in a dirty environment again.

19. mahers

mahers Well-Known Member

While you may be right, not all screen protectors are the same. I got the Invisible Gadget Guard off eBay for my EnV Touch and it was great. It's applied with water and dish soap, but I eventually had to send the phone back for a defect. So I ordered the really cheap ones (5 Pack for $4) and they are almost identical to the generic ones that come on the phone in the box. The IGG when scratched, revitalized and was back to new. The really cheap ones clung with static had lots of bubbles and when scratched were essentially trash. TIFWIW

20. Eshyn

Eshyn Well-Known Member

It's just a simple rectangle that covers the screen and not the upper or lower portions of the face of the phone.

21. dm33

dm33 Well-Known Member

Phone is out now.
    Has any website done a scratch and/or drop test?