• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How scratch resistant is the screen?

Trojita

Mar 30, 2010
I haven't found a defining answer on this. I now expect most touch screen smart phones now being made to be made out of an almost unscratchable glass display. I keep hearing from some reviews that the screen scratches really easy. I haven't found a definitive answer on this anywhere and planned on purchasing this as my 1st ever smart phone tomorrow.

Anyone know?

I haven't found a defining answer on this. I now expect most touch screen smart phones now being made to be made out of an almost unscratchable glass display. I keep hearing from some reviews that the screen scratches really easy. I haven't found a definitive answer on this anywhere and planned on purchasing this as my 1st ever smart phone tomorrow.

Anyone know?

There's a video review somewhere of an individual trying to scratch it. They're unable to with keys and a knife. On the other hand I've read reviews where they said it scratched easily.
I'm very curious. My 2yr old iPhone doesn't have the slightest scratch on the glass. Its obviously very scratch resistant. My G1 has lots of scratches and seems more like ordinary glass.

Upvote 0
Can never be to safe, that's what I always say. Sure, a protector may feel a little "sticky" but that is only when you press hard - That is totally not needed. I have owned Zagg skins a few times and I use them because I know they work well - I prefer them over best skin ever. What i REALLY want to try is Wrapsol, but they haven't made a skin for the Inc yet

Upvote 0
There's a video review somewhere of an individual trying to scratch it. They're unable to with keys and a knife. On the other hand I've read reviews where they said it scratched easily.
I'm very curious. My 2yr old iPhone doesn't have the slightest scratch on the glass. Its obviously very scratch resistant. My G1 has lots of scratches and seems more like ordinary glass.

You're probably referring to the motorola droid scratch test video on youtube.

Upvote 0

Anyone know?

i've missed the reviews that said it was easily scratched....can you link me?

Upvote 0
SGP Steinheil but it hasn't been released yet.

And as far as scratch resistance goes.. Well, I'm not taking any chances. I just applied a Verizon screen protector which I will have on until I can get an anti-glare Steinheil.

is that verizon screen protector for the entire screen or just the touch portion? does it have a cutout for the speaker?

Upvote 0
From the pictures the Verizon Wireless Screen Protector only protects the screen and not the face of the phone.

When it comes to a screen protector, don't buy an expensive one like Zagg (I personally hate the extra drag that the Zagg ones give on your finger). Initially I'm going to just cut-down a screen protector I got off Ebay for my Viliv S5 and wait until a company comes out with a smooth full-body protector. All those that require you to use a special solution = suck.

You don't need to buy an expensive, top brand screen protector. Just like expensive HDMI cables, it's unnecessary and a waste of money in my opinion.

Upvote 0
ive never used a screen protector on my phones, see my history.

The only problem i have ever had with scratching my phone has been my ppc6800.

But it was working in a really dusty environment. The fine dirt dust was from an equipment yard i worked in, and even though i worked in the office, the fine dust slowly caused my screen to get real fine scratch marks that were mostly visible in the sunlight. Which made it very hard to read in the bright daylight.

Id rather not deal with a membrane on top of my touch screen, unless im working in a dirty environment again.

Upvote 0
From the pictures the Verizon Wireless Screen Protector only protects the screen and not the face of the phone.

When it comes to a screen protector, don't buy an expensive one like Zagg (I personally hate the extra drag that the Zagg ones give on your finger). Initially I'm going to just cut-down a screen protector I got off Ebay for my Viliv S5 and wait until a company comes out with a smooth full-body protector. All those that require you to use a special solution = suck.

You don't need to buy an expensive, top brand screen protector. Just like expensive HDMI cables, it's unnecessary and a waste of money in my opinion.
While you may be right, not all screen protectors are the same. I got the Invisible Gadget Guard off eBay for my EnV Touch and it was great. It's applied with water and dish soap, but I eventually had to send the phone back for a defect. So I ordered the really cheap ones (5 Pack for $4) and they are almost identical to the generic ones that come on the phone in the box. The IGG when scratched, revitalized and was back to new. The really cheap ones clung with static had lots of bubbles and when scratched were essentially trash. TIFWIW

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones