• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Secure Are Remote Desktop Solutions??

ODog2323

Android Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2010
NJ, USA
So I just loaded Splashtop (free Amaazon App Store download ftw) onto my tablet and phone, and installed the companion app on my home PC. It's my first experience with remote desktop computing, and it's extremely cool, but it got me thinking. How safe is it to leave the PC client running all the time?? Password protection and all aside, would that not be like inviting a complete stranger to sit in front of your computer and poke around? Or is it more or less equal to the risks we take on in the internet connected world?

I'd just assume not leave the PC client running all the time, but that seems to defeat the purpose if I'm out and about, and need to access my PC in a pinch.

Yeah bothers me too... all these cloud based apps... give them your email and password and hope they don't have a vengeful employee... I turn my home PC off when not in use. My work PC runs all week. I plan on trying Splashtop with it (it works great at home). I can see it being much more useful for work. I just make sure I log off and don't let it remember my password. Hate to lose my device (Galaxy Player) and have someone able to turn it on and access anything important!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones