How send SMS within Europe from N7 WiFi only?Support

1. hallergard

hallergard Member

Live in the UK and would like to send and receive text messages to and from mobile phones in the UK and Europe. Got myself a US Google number following these instructions, sideloaded Google Voice and installed Talkatone. Without rooting I can now make calls and receive calls, at

Advertisement
    :
  2. rootbrain

rootbrain Well-Known Member

SMS was designed for the phone networks. You can use tablet talk on the N7 and your phone. Then, when you connect them via tablet talk app, you can use the tablet. It still goes through your phone though.
  3. hallergard

hallergard Member

Thanks rootbrain, tablet talk looks fine - except my old mobile is pre-android. Don
  4. jhsrennie

jhsrennie Well-Known Member

Some networks allow you to send SMS messages through their web site. For example I can do this via the My T-Mobile site. There is a My T-Mobile app that presumably makes this less of a faff, but annoyingly it isn't compatible with 4.2, and anyway the reviews of it are pretty damning!
  5. scribley9

scribley9 Active Member

MySMS (Free from Play) could be worth a look, it doesn't offer free sending of SMS's it just allows you to use their App to send from the N7 as if you were sending from your usual phone account. Received SMS messages appear on both your phone and the N7
  6. runamonk

runamonk Well-Known Member

Tablet talk or Desk SMS.
  7. hallergard

hallergard Member

Thanks to all of you. Installed MySMS - sending an SMS gave this error message "No GSM connection available".

Installed DeskSMS. No error message when sending SMS, but the messages were not received. Tried Settings/Test Connection: "The push connection to the phone has failed". Suspect that the reason is the same as above?
  8. runamonk

Okay there are two applications you need. TabletSMS, which gets installed on the N7. DeskSMS gets installed on your phone.

Now before you try and do anything with the tablet, setup your phone. Run DeskSMS and have it do it's setup, issue a test sms from there. This will link up with your google account etc. Your phone and tablet both need to be connected to the internet for this work.

Now run the tablet sms and do it's setup, it's simple. Just follow the prompts.
  9. hallergard

hallergard Member

Thanks, but my mobile phone is too old, pre-android. As I do not intend buying a new smartphone, I guess my only hope is that Google Voice will be extended to outside North America.
  10. hallergard

hallergard Member

Learnt in Skype to change settings for SMS, to identify me by setting my phone number to my Google number. The recipient can now send SMS replies. It looks quite tidy at the recipients messaging window.

It is not quite as tidy on my N7 tablet, as all my sent SMS are in Skype, and all my received are in Talkatone, Gmail and Google Voice - but it is a rather small inconvenience.
  11. Put PopMyPhone on your android phone, use your favourite email client on your N7 to send/receive SMS/MMS through your phone. This will use your existing phone number and the sms plan on your phone. You'll also be able to get missed call notifications sent to you by email as well.
  12. runamonk

Me too man!:D
  13. Spaceprobe

Spaceprobe Well-Known Member

I use Tablet Talk from the Play store, works a treat, and to make calls from Google voice all I did was install Grove IP Lite from the Play store