How soon can Incredible users hack phones and install Froyo?Support

Last Updated:

1. pittguy578

pittguy578 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering...

Advertisement
  2. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

As soon as someone finds root access. I can't imagine that it would be much longer, seeing as the Evo was hacked before it was released, courtesy of the Google I/O phones. Still, it shouldn't be THAT much longer until the incredible can get it's root on; it's almost the same phone as the evo, minus an extra camera, screen size, and minor cosmetic differences.

3. Shachren

Shachren Well-Known Member

4. TheWhiteBandito

TheWhiteBandito Well-Known Member

Hopefully now that it is rooted, we will have an EASY way to Root within a week or so. The developers are hard at work, sit tight and we'll have FROYO goodness on our phones very very soon!

5. jasperwill

jasperwill Well-Known Member

mmmmmmmmm froyo...

ive seen several people say that the incredible had been rooted several times over the last month and they all turned out to be false, is there a better source then engadget saying that its rooted? i havent been on the forums for about a week.

6. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

When it does happen, please note that if you install 2.2, you will loose SenseUI...At least until HTC actually comes out with Sense w/ 2.2...

7. jasperwill

unfortunately i think you might be right. although the people making ROMS might come out with a 2.1/2.2 sense UI hybrid easily enough right?
    i dont know anything about how these ROMS are created so i dont want to start any rumors but shouldnt it be pretty easy to extract the sense UI and add it into the 2.2 update that the N1 already has?
    it is a linux base after all right?

even if its not possible im going to look into rooting the phone and losing sense UI until HTC comes out with the new ROM probably.

8. CirkDroid

CirkDroid Well-Known Member

I wouldn't recommend rooting an Incredible just yet. There are too many issues. It's not like a droid or a N1, where the phones are just vanilla android. A common issue with the incredible and other phones like it relate to it's internal storage. Heck, even the droid has common application issues.

So far the N1 is by the best phone as it pertains to rooting. You're on Verizon obviously, so uh, yeah, no luck there.

9. jasperwill

ya my only problem with VZW has been the lack of phones that are on the network. it seems like no-one wants to design them.
    (less market share in CDMA and larger internal radio contribute to this)

10. CirkDroid

CirkDroid Well-Known Member

I don't know why you'd want to install Froyo on an incredible or an evo right now. An old release candidate, from another model phone, on another carrier?

Sure, it can "work", but it won't be completely functional.

If you want to load a new OS onto your phone through rooting, just use a custom rom, you'll have a better success ratio of everything working than using the hacked up to bits Froyo ports.

11. jasperwill

there are a few functions that froyo should have (even on the "older" incredible and evo) that i really want to have. most importantly to me are the bluetooth update for using voice dialing, and the appstosd option (that im hoping will allow me to put apps onto my 8 gig built in memory)