How the heck can you use voice to look up contacts?

Last Updated:

1. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am not having much luck looking up contacts by voice. 99% of the time it does a web search, whether using Google voice input tool, or Vlingo.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. Dennis_Bham

Dennis_Bham Well-Known Member

One way would be to use the android keyboard ... when you are in contacts, press the search button and the android keyboard gives you a voice input option that will search contacts ...

3. jmreed97

jmreed97 Well-Known Member

I downloaded voice command but it didn't know what I said most of the time... But you can try it...

4. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

well if you want to call the person just press and hold the search button till it brings up the mic, then say"call mike lewis" for example.it will search contacts and dial for you.

5. RingMe

RingMe Active Member

Doesn't work for me, it searches the web. And yes, I pressed the search button at the bottom right hand corner of the phone.

6. artvandalay22222

artvandalay22222 Well-Known Member

Make sure your on the home screen.press and hold the bottom right button with magnifying glass.it will say speak now. Then say "call friend" but replace friend with the first and last name of the contact you want to call it will either begin dialing or if it doesn't know recognize what you said, it will give you choices.

7. lilo

lilo Well-Known Member

It searches the web AND the contacts. If it recognizes the contact name the option to call the contact will be displayed first on the result page.

8. RingMe

RingMe Active Member

OK, this works: You have to login to your Gmail account. On the left hand side, click "Contacts" then click "Friends". Add a contact with a name and phone number and then click Save. Now, click the Google microphone on the Captivate and say either "Call" or "Dial" with the contact name and it will dial.

9. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy Well-Known Member

I called the Samsung support team, and they were only able to get it to work once. They have turned in a bug to their firmware group because in Options/Search, you can turn on/off various options for search results. Even though contacts are the only search option set, it still brings up the web browser even though its translating your voice text correctly. We'll see what happens.

10. radi0chik

radi0chik Well-Known Member

I read in another thread that it ONLY recognizes people who are google contacts. If it's from your sim card address book, or in your phone book, it will go to google and display a web search. I haven't tried that myself, but that's what someone somewhere said.

11. RingMe

RingMe Active Member

Yes, that's correct.

12. ewingr

ewingr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I've been doing all of that, and probably less than 50% of the time does it work.

Very inconsistent. Pretty much sucks.

And, no, I do not plan to take the phone back. I love it, but hate how it works with voice. Cannot make a totally hands free call even if the voice worked 100%.

Hoping that Froyo fixes this.