How the heck did I take this screenshot?Support

Last Updated:

1. ericdouglas17

ericdouglas17 Active Member

I have a Samsung Vibrant, running Froyo, and it is not rooted. I have no screenshot app that I know of, but somehow, this image showed up in my Gallery, under the folder ScreenCapture. As you can see, it's the notification window from a few weeks ago.

I have no idea how this happened. But mostly, I am curious, because I want to do it again!

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  2. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

There have been many reports of people accidentally getting screenshots. There is code in android right now that will be used in the future for screenshot capabilities. Google has been working on making screenshots available without root access. I've seen a process on my phone named ScreenshotService or something like that. My theory is that some of the code is in place now while google continues to work on it.
  3. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

On the I9000, you take a screenshot by holding back and then pressing home. Give that a try.
  4. scooterbaga

scooterbaga Member

On my Mesmerize I hold the Back button and then press the Power/Standby button to take a screenshot.

(Took me freakin' forever to figure it out how I was doing it.)
  5. Tofudisan

Tofudisan Member

Sweet! I noticed a screenshot in my gallery as well. I have Smooth Calendar on the home screen so I knew it was taken on the 17th but didn't know how that happened.

My phone is a Samsung Mesmerize (Fascinate) that I've upgraded to Froyo. Just tried holding the back and then hitting the power button and a little message window pops up that says "Screen captured. Saved as image file." Hunted around and found the folder /sdcard/ScreenCapture/ and there's the screen caps.

Found out I have to hold down on the back button until I get a buzz response. Then press and hold the power button until the message pops up. A fast press of the power button simply prompts for power-off/airplane mode.
  6. DrPennington

DrPennington Well-Known Member

Look for screen shot shortcut in the market. It will allow you to take screen shots. Much simpler then the holding buttons option.
    Tofudisan and ericdouglas17 like this.
  7. ericdouglas17

ericdouglas17 Active Member

Thank you, DrPennington! That works great! None of the other "hold this button, twirl around, say a chant, and hold this button with your right pinky" ever worked for me.
  8. DrPennington

DrPennington Well-Known Member

No problem! Sometimes I can be helpful =)
  9. aiahmed

aiahmed New Member

Tried, Doesn't work (Using Froyo)
  10. Wir3tap

Wir3tap New Member

on my I9100 with 2.3.4 if you hold home then hit the power button it takes a screenshot. Try that.
  11. wolfgirl2011

wolfgirl2011 New Member

Thank you soooo much! It was driving me crazy that my phone would take a screen shot when I DIDN'T want it to and that it WOULDN'T take a screen shot when I DID want it to.:eek:
  12. The toad

The toad New Member

I have an htc incredible 2 and I tried all those things and none of them worked. Any suggestions? I know I can take a screen shot because I have one of a text message conversation.